DISH

www.dish.com

Interview your potential manager and peers, it makes a huge difference

Analyst (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsI work for a wonderful, intelligent and understanding manager, who thinks many of DISH's rediculous policies are just that, rediculous!!! People need flexibility due to family situations, life circumstances, IT schedules that cause people to work odd hours, etc. and he understands those challenges and does everything he can while working within the boundaries of the unwritten DISH rules. I feel for him, it is a delicate balance but he is up to the challenge time and time again. I trust him, and he is trying to open doors (and not the door out) at every opportunity. I got lucky, but when I came in for my interviewed (while still I still had a steady job at another company and knew the concerns about DISH) I had my questions, I wanted to know what challenges he had and if he would be open (within reason of course) and he past my own little test with flying colors. I interivewed in front of a panel of people as well as the Senior VP and they all came across as normal and very intelligent.

ConsHorrible benefits, unbelievably bad. The time off and sick time does not cover what people with school age children need to take off for those very important family vacations. It is sad really, they don't seem to understand that people with school aged kids have to take off time too take care of them, and then once one kid is well, the next child gets sick, and sooner or later, a parent will get sick. A week of sick time a year? It doesn't work that way. The people that make those decisions need a committee of people from all different walks of life and family situations to talk through these issue. What happens is you end up taking off your vacation time to cover family sick time and there goes your chance to take the kids to Disney World or another nice place. That is hearbreaking when you know you only have 4-5 more years before your oldest leaves for college,,life is short, life with your kids is shorter, and it all makes it to short to see DISH as a long-term option when you would consider staying because you enjoy your work and team-mates. Insurance? Not enough room here to start, apparently they are preparing us for Obama care. If you would at LEAST pay for preventative care, I could go with that. I brought this up with HR and they said "since most of out employees are young, it ins't needed". I look around and that is a completely false statement.

Advice to Senior ManagementSame thing you have heard forever, eliminate badge report forever, what you are doing with salaried employees in that respect is not even legal. One day someone with be bold and go legal with that. Fix your horrible benefits, eliminate bullying managers.

There are newer reviews on DISH.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!