DISH

www.dish.com
  www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Changing culture will make this a great company in next few years

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coolest technology in the pay TV industry
Lots of opportunity for committed employees who are strong enough to find their own path and not be dissuaded from contributing by jaded veterans

Cons

Since new CEO (Clayton) Company is evolving into a better place to work and contribute.
Long term structural challenges with margins from programmer leverage.
Lost the content race with competitors (Sports).

Stay on your current path of changing the culture towards valuing employees.

1857 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Competence

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Commercial in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Commercial in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly staff, intelligent, thoughtful management.

Cons

Wolf in sheep's clothing. Please make CSSs take personality profile tests before promotion.

Sometimes a person is promoted to CSS without any tests. shown preferential treatment and dealt with as a legitimate aide despite that behind management's back he is an abuser who uses humiliation of other employees to garner self esteem for himself. It is surprising that he has gotten this far considering the humiliating statements he has made which, in one instance, included the "N" word. It makes one lose confidence in lower management that they may very well mistake an abuser as an "A" type personality. As lower management rarely sees his abusive side, it is quite understandable. Yet, employees should be required to take a psychological exam before being promoted. Once an employee loses confidence in their coach and their lower management's ability to judge a personality disorder it is quite hard to trust them again. Mistakes are made, yes, but when it continues to go on and on with no intervention, it is hard to deal with. Sometimes after a particularly humiliating experience, I feel like quitting. Fortunately there is a new coach in my department who jumps in and starts to field my questions at that point, so I settle down. Sick and tired. By the way I am a social worker and feel as if I know an abuser from a an "A" type personality.

Emotionally taxing and consistent in misinformation from the top down.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Christiansburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for a high school grad with no college degree, guaranteed 40hrs a week, direct supervisors (coaches) seem to be the best employees. P4P bonuses and sales payouts are alright, if you can make them. Generally decent opportunities for overtime.

Cons

Long hours sitting listening to people whine about trivial things with their television, cleaning up after other agents, offshore agents seem to do more harm than good, sales department almost always misleads customers, shifts are awful, uplink centers constantly going down and driving queues higher, not enough pay for what we put up with, unrealistic metric goals. Constantly adding calls to a skill type whether we have the training or not with no raise.

Fix your metric goals, actually spend some time on the phones and hear what your customers want. Reward agents for an overall job well done, rather than demoralizing after a month of strenuous hard work and stress keeping metrics to goal and missing one metric by half a percent. Rather than spend exorbitant amounts of money constantly hiring and training new hires and thrusting them on the phones (and leaving more for seasoned agents to clean up after), keep your experienced agents happy and we will do a better job. Lastly and probably most importantly, make abundantly clear what requirements are expected of agents and coaches and what constitutes what punishment. I am nearing my 2 year mark here and have yet to have my promotion that I was assured would be at 6 months of employment, because it either is changing or nobody gave consistent information on what I needed to do to earn it.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH