There are newer employer reviews for DISH

always a fresh challenge and an opportunity to learn

Current Employee - Front End Developer  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Front End Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work as a front end software developer in the New York City office, so it may or may not be relevant to other offices and departments. Here's my 2 cents:
- Leadership: I enjoy working with industry veterans from companies that Dish and its subsidiaries have acquired like Move Networks and Sling -- two of the earliest online video companies
- Innovation: Our team at Dish is always working on new platforms and systems and pushing the envelope! Exploring Roku, Smart TVs, new mobile platforms. This lets me keep learning and developing myself professionally.
- Vision: Dish seems to have a clear long term vision which includes the wireless industry. I like working in a company that's growing!
- Opportunity: Dish has a disproportionate number of young managers and leaders. Management seems to notice when someone takes initiative

Cons

- large company with so many employees means the deployments are slow and any organizational change takes years!
- not enough PDO

1742 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

it was a great job to have

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Springfield, MA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

the wages was great and the pay was beautiful

Cons

working long days...and manager sucks

Check your ethics at the door

Former Employee - Direct Sales  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Direct Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free tv. Also, my trainer, Paul, was extremely nice, funny, cool, and patient, as some people in my class simply could not grasp the very simplest of concepts.

Cons

1. "Random" drug test (mouth swab) sprung on you during interview.

I do not do drugs of any kind, but I still found this to be an invasive violation of privacy. My previous job did the mouth swab during the paperwork part, too, but they had the courtesy to tell me to expect it.

2. GM uses terrorism to welcome new hires during Orientation.

I never had enough respect for him to learn his name, but he's a bald, scary looking, mathematician. He starts out by telling you how hard the work is, how little you mean to him, how quickly he will fill your seat after firing you, and the number of hours you WILL WORK, at minimum. Makes me feel sorry for his wife, if he has one.

3. Shady practices everywhere - almost impossible to make sales without them.

In training, you are taught to "think outside the box." By this, they mean, when your customer fails to have a non-prepaid, non-welfare issued credit or debit card, or if they have a real card but they do not have $1 available on it, you ask them who they know that does. Once you make it over that hurdle, you check their credit, which fails, you ask them who has good credit but is stupid enough to take on financial responsibility for the bill on their behalf. In the event the bum can find someone to pass credit, now you have to pray that they have enough money to pay their first bill, which they dont, because remember they dont have $1, you ask them who has money and is willing to "loan" it to them. Because of all this, successful reps lie to the people that have dollars, valid credit cards, and good credit, by telling them that they are not responsible for the bill in any way. Coaches (mine at least), look the other way. Sorry, I have a conscience.

4. Management plays favorites.

Maybe it was just my coach, but it was extremely obvious who his favorites were. They got as much time off the phones as they wanted, got spoon fed leads in the way of other people's call backs, got to take extended lunches, leave early, etc. HR doesn't care.

5. Hostile work environment.

Even minorities are blatantly racist. Not one day went by (not including training - training was awesome) that I did not hear racist remarks or remarks that were derogatory toward other groups, ie disabled people, older folks, gay people.

6. Lose pay at every turn.

Commission is based primarily on close ratio. If a call drops, or is incorrectly routed, or is someone that already has an account, or hated the previous rep and called to tell you about it, or they need to know what channel is Duck Dynasty on, or whatever - that call counts against you. To be fair, if someone calls and buys with no work, you get credit.

They take away sales as punishment for missing a word on a disclosure that is about 20 pages long and must be read - verbatim - on every sale. Internet must be offered on every call (sale or not), or you lose a sale. Lost sales are compounded for six months. Meaning if you make 10 sales this week, but forget to say something on one, you get paid for 9. Then you make 10 sales next week, but forget to say something on one of them, you lose that sale, plus the one from last week bites you again, so you get paid for 8. And so on. Also, some mistakes cost you 1 sale, some cost you 3 sales. I saw people on my team lose 27 sales in the same week, which he clearly didn't have enough sales to cover that and make a living, so he took the guarantee that week ($10/hr).

If you miss a day or are late (arriving, back from break, or back from lunch) or leave early, you lose 10% of your commission for the week. If you miss another day, or are late again, you lose another 10%.

You are paid on activations, not sales. This means you have to build up a pipeline. So, if you take a vacation, even though it is "paid", the week you come back, you make nothing because there is nothing in your pipe. Top employees won trips while I was there, and they chose to take the cash value and pay taxes on it because taking time off cost them too much money.

7. Benefits suck.

Either the deductible is outrageous, or nothing is covered. I don't get sick, I only need insurance in case of emergency or catastrophic illness. The options available were horrid, and I don't have a family. Not sure how someone with a family would manage to pay the insurance premiums.

8. Hours suck.

Mandatory overtime was abolished during my time there, but that doesn't mean your coach wont try. Also, the shift you are hired for will not be the shift you get when you leave training. I was hired for a 1-9:30 shift tue-sat, but after training I got 10-8 tue/thur/fri/sat. Not including the forced overtime of course. With that, I worked 8AM to 8PM with Sunday and either monday or wednesday off, and virtually no notice as to which it would be. Unless I gave out the fewest free ipads that week, in which case, i would be punished by working sunday. This is a punishment in that there are no calls on sundays, not to mention, ITS SUNDAY!

Bottom Line: If you have a heart or a brain, you will hate working there. They have 85% turnover and its not a surprise. They are so desperate to keep people that when I tried to quit, the HR lady would not let me, suggesting I ask for leave instead. One fellow employee even committed suicide in the parking lot!

Without a complete overhaul, nothing will change.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!