DISH

www.dish.com
  www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Upper management doesnt have a clue because all they look at are the skewed numbers.

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Actual work of installing is good, rest of the bs is not.

Cons

Routing of techs is a joke. Techs job performance based mostly on things the tech has no control over like if customer has internet to connect rec, bad info have to reschedule because customer does not provide correct info. Trying to shove sales down the throat of techs and not focusing on the real problems of the company.

Get your nose out of the skewed reports (techs know how to skew the numbers in their favor with less than reputable means and make it worse for techs that will not stoop to those tactics) and figure out what is really going on in the field

1879 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

"We Thrive in Ambiguity/Lack of Clarity and No Sense of Humanity, But At Least We're Dishonest AND Punitive."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers. Good people!

But... they don't pay the bills, and they don't have the ability to preserve your heart & soul (which will be chiseled away, week after week, by the Dish mentality and the lie after lie). The "crazy-making" can eat away at you until you don't know truth from lie.

Assume whatever Mgmt tells you or promises you is a misrepresentation at best.

It's most likely a blatant untruth AND a manipulation. It'll sound good, but just wait and see the REAL truth. And you will. You'll see the truth, and they'll try to make you think like they think. Not a healthy way to go - don't fall for it.

Maintain your dignity and your truth. Know that you're most likely quite a bit smarter than Mgmt is. You won't have the power, but know that you have the ability and smarts.

(ooops... I got into "cons" while rating Dish in the "pros"... Now how could THAT happen??) Ha. Not sure there will be enough room under "Cons" for what I have to post, but we shall see.

Cons

Dish is a cesspool of inhumanity. And exploitation.

Honesty and integrity are not valued; actually, they are feared. Top-heavy management style consisted of immense lack of a savvy, lack of caring, and an inhumane management style. That, and a surplus of micro management. Not an inspiring combo.

Paychecks for sales reps aren't necessarily accurate. Keep copies of:
    1) all paycheck stubs from the day you start
    2) all signed timesheets.

The coaches will put the timesheets in front of you when you're on the phone, and BUSY! They want you to NOT have time to look at what you're signing. Hmmm.... wonder why?? Just wait on signing it tho...sign it when you have time to go over it. The "sense of urgency" the coaches push at you is a manipulation. And they're told by Mid-Mgmt to rush you and make sure you don't have time to view hours.

Anyway, request copy of each timesheet once you've signed off. Keep all records. If you don't stay on top of it, they will underpay you. Even if you do stay on top, your paychecks often times won't be accurate.

Once you get fired, or leave on your own because yes, absolutely there are GREAT jobs out there in the Denver Metro area - don't allow Dish to make you think that this company is IT. Not at all the case...

Anyway, once you leave Dish, go to Colorado Labor Board with your documentation and paystubs, and they will go to Dish, Dish will have to fill out tons of paperwork, and the Labor Board will get ALL the $$ Dish took from you for Autofails & Tier "human errors" and/or erroneous QA's that might just speak NOTHING of the TRUTH of that particular call. Always listen to the call they dinged you on, listen with your coach. Get it overturned. If it's not overturned, then get your commission back through our Labor Board.

It's not legal in Colorado for an employer to take away commission earned, as long as sale & installation is complete. It's your sale - get your money. And you WILL get your $$ once you leave Dish for good, and go to Labor Board. (It'll cost you nothing to get Labor Board involved.)

There is nothing streamlined for sales reps to SIMPLY follow-up and reconcile their sales from previous week to the actual pay they receive. This is intentional. Because if it were streamlined and sensible, we'd see the theft from our paychecks more easily. They're not about to make that happen.

The sales "compensation" structure changes frequently. They raise the bar, then raise the bar again. Lots & lots of variables involved, which makes it absolutely crazy-making to find out what you really should be paid.

Management hopes you just "give up" on tracking your money, and they count on people not having the time, not taking the time to make sure they're really getting paid. Because Mgmt knows it's an extremely complex and convoluted system for tracking your pay you actually earned.

So.... it's a constant revamping of pay structure into a complex web of mathematical algorithms. There's no simple, stream-lined way to track/project what pay you can anticipate. And like I said before, GOOD LUCK on ever knowing if you're really getting the commissions you've earned.

They allocate approx $1.5 MILLION/year for "prizes". So basically you're walking into a nasty gamble. If you can afford to gamble away your livelihood, by all means run with it!

Rather than offering compensation for work well done, and having occasional fun incentives/prizes, they budget MORE THAN 1 million dollars a year for something that you may never see, you may never enjoy, because the "prizes" are via raffle. Seriously, who DOES that?? That's weird. And uninspiring. I would have rather had that $$ allocated toward salary and benefits. If I had wanted a crapshoot, I'd have gone to Central City.

The health care, even if you opt in for the "premium" plan, is nothing but Major Medical/Catastrophic. Pathetic for a company this size, Fortune 200. But old Charlie boy ain't interested in giving back to employees, and doesn't much care to keep good people. And most people there were good ones. Charlie may be wealthy, but he's old. And nasty. And his day will soon come. As they say, Karma's a B****.

The cost relating to attrition is sky-high. I never understood why they nurtured the
    "revolving door/our-employees-are-completely-dispensable-and-of-little-interest-to-us"
    mentality. Seems like an expensive business practice.

And the Refer-A-Friend to work at Dish?? Ummm... even tho they supposedly pay something like $350 if the person you referred stays at least 90 days, I would never, EVER do this to a true friend. That would be cruel. If you detest someone, and want them to suffer, then refer them to work at Dish. I've heard of 3 cases where the current employees referred a friend or family member to work at Dish, and all obligations were fulfilled, but they NEVER got their referral fee. That's just who Dish is. Disgusting.

If you'd like to have a conversation (not a "confrontation", but rather a conversation) they feel threatened it seems. And management parrots (regurgitates), ad nauseum, the following: "If you don't like it here then leave."

Well that's not an effective way to communicate. Nothing moves forward, no progress is made. But at least they don't care. And that's the bottom line, there is such a LACK of CARING it's mind-blowing. And as long as they DON'T care, nothing will move forward and they'll continue with the enormous attrition expenses and the hell-on-earth work environment.

Oh - re: Sales Agents, Dish factors in a 1 to 2% "invalid" rate on incoming calls. That's absurd. But it allows Dish their massive greed, and payouts as small as they can be.

You CAN make money there, but the price you'll pay is quite likely your health, your family, and any sense of sanity. Such an unhealthy place.

Good co-workers, but a terribly corrupt nature based on greed. Charlie's greed. And if his little minions don't follow his lead, and his ruthless nature, they'll be gone. And they should count their blessings once freed from this prison.

Many days there I laughed and I had moments of FUN! My coworkers were fantastic!

However, read the rest of my post. There's so much more than being able to laugh and have fun at times. You can do that at ANY job.

This company can suck the very life right out of you. I've seen so much angst in employees' eyes, in their words, in their hearts. It's just NOT worth the angst and stress, along with being consistently monitored, and then manipulated into "thinking" a certain way. Sick.

And any nonsense you hear about Mgmt wanting to "improve life at Dish" is another manipulation - another trade-off. They make it appear as tho they're giving you something, but they make d*** sure you'll pay for it somewhere else.

If all you need is a quick paycheck, then try it out. You'll gain valuable experience. Seriously you will. Because if you can survive, or thrive, in this fear-based, punitive environment, you will absolutely SOAR in your next work place environment. So that's the PLUS side for any employee at Dish. Best to ya. Really, tho, you're too good to work at this corrupt, soul-sucking company.

And beware, peoples' relationships & marriages tend to suffer when one parent works at Dish. Sad to see, sad to hear. If you're a mom or dad with minor kids, don't do it. Your family will suffer, and you'll lose out on the BEST times and wonderful memories in your family's life.

There are other jobs. Don't risk your families. Don't risk your very important relationships. Not for this, not for people who see you as a commodity rather than as a human being with value.

Seriously?? "ADVICE" to Management??

Well let's see.... Nope, I got nothin'.

Because to spend time and effort offering advice to Management would require them actually caring. So there's no point. They know how they can improve morale. But they don't care. So I'm done. I'm free. I'm healthy now.

The grass is greener on the other side

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Set your own schedule and discounted tv service. I was able to work about 4 hours a day and no one knew.

Cons

Where do I start? I was laid off after the annual re org of the company. Dish does this every year around November and December. They need to save money so they eliminate a bunch of jobs. The severance package is 1 months pay and you have to sign a waiver within 21 days to get it. No matter how many years you worked there it's the same package. Pretty pathetic that a huge company treats people like that. The culture is awful and employees are miserable. You aren't able to go to HR because they go and tell everyone what you said. People put fake reviews on here to make it sound like its a wonderful place to work. I was employed for 6 years and I can't believe I survived that long. They have won the award for worst company to work for 2 years in a row and I'm sure they will win again this year. They don't care about the customers or the retailers. They will gut employees whenever they have a chance. The benefits are a joke and expensive. The base salary is way below standards as is the mileage paid for travel. It's .45 per mile. Expense reports take weeks to get back. Everything is mailed and delayed. Bonuses are capped which allows them to keep the majority of the money. This company is well known to be a pain in the butt to deal with. Here is some advice don't work here. If you need too just give it a year and get out. You will be laid off before you know it.

Your company is getting worse.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH