DISH

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Selective People Follow Selective Policies

Current Employee - Coach in Christiansburg, VA
Current Employee - Coach in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people that work at Dish are wonderful. The pay is good for this area. And that's about all I can come up with for the pros.

Cons

I can only speak for Christiansburg Call Center. If you are "one of the boys" you will do fine there. You have managers and coaches that go out drinking together. These people stay together and it doesn't matter what they do whether they have poor metrics - poor attendance - don't follow policies - they will be fine and even get promoted. But if you don't buy food for a manager or go out drinking and getting drunk after work - you better walk on eggshells.

There are policies that corporate office feels important but Christiansburg is selective in who and what they think are important. You can have some agents missing 6 days of work in 90 days and get fired and other can miss 9 10 or even 12 days in 90 days and still have a job.

Per corporate office you should never hang up on a customer. There is a broadband/dr. dish coach that has proof of an agent releasing the call more than 17 times in 1 week and she is still employed. But an other agent released the call once and was automatically terminated.

Then you have coaches playing Candy Crush all day or watching youtube videos. Oh wait...you have some coaches completing Manager On Duty responsibilites throughout the entire day just so a manager does not have to be scheduled until midnight while you have other coaches and agents that have to work that late. Then when you walk up to the Manager Center or "The Stage" you see the Manager On Duty (a selected coach doing the job of a manager) watching threads and keeping an eye on aux while you have the actual managers and some times the senior operations manager watching youtube videos the entire time or you hear them talk about coaches as pig slop and such.

Just when you think that is enough you have the saying perception is reality. Well, perception from management can be completely different than the perception of everyone else. You can have an entire team that loves their coach and their coach works hard for his/her agents but management only sees what they want. Instead of getting feedback from the agents, they just hear passing conversations or look at your pod or if you have a smile on your face. Anyone can act and have a smile but it doesn't mean they are happy or that their agents like or even respect them.

So the cons of working for the Dish Christiansburg Call Center out weighs the few pros there are.

Don't have favorites. Treat everyone equally. If there is a policy in place for one then there should be the same policy in place for all others. Get out of your chairs more. The newest manager there is great with getting out and talking to coaches. Quit worrying about the newest video on youtube and what you are going to eat for lunch or where you are going after work to drink. Worry more about your coaches and your agents and actually developing your coaches instead of just saying fix this. If the coach could simply fix a metric, don't you think they would have already done so?

1877 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

"We Thrive in Ambiguity/Lack of Clarity and No Sense of Humanity, But At Least We're Dishonest AND Punitive."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers. Good people!

But... they don't pay the bills, and they don't have the ability to preserve your heart & soul (which will be chiseled away, week after week, by the Dish mentality and the lie after lie). The "crazy-making" can eat away at you until you don't know truth from lie.

Assume whatever Mgmt tells you or promises you is a misrepresentation at best.

It's most likely a blatant untruth AND a manipulation. It'll sound good, but just wait and see the REAL truth. And you will. You'll see the truth, and they'll try to make you think like they think. Not a healthy way to go - don't fall for it.

Maintain your dignity and your truth. Know that you're most likely quite a bit smarter than Mgmt is. You won't have the power, but know that you have the ability and smarts.

(ooops... I got into "cons" while rating Dish in the "pros"... Now how could THAT happen??) Ha. Not sure there will be enough room under "Cons" for what I have to post, but we shall see.

Cons

Dish is a cesspool of inhumanity. And exploitation.

Honesty and integrity are not valued; actually, they are feared. Top-heavy management style consisted of immense lack of a savvy, lack of caring, and an inhumane management style. That, and a surplus of micro management. Not an inspiring combo.

Paychecks for sales reps aren't necessarily accurate. Keep copies of:
    1) all paycheck stubs from the day you start
    2) all signed timesheets.

The coaches will put the timesheets in front of you when you're on the phone, and BUSY! They want you to NOT have time to look at what you're signing. Hmmm.... wonder why?? Just wait on signing it tho...sign it when you have time to go over it. The "sense of urgency" the coaches push at you is a manipulation. And they're told by Mid-Mgmt to rush you and make sure you don't have time to view hours.

Anyway, request copy of each timesheet once you've signed off. Keep all records. If you don't stay on top of it, they will underpay you. Even if you do stay on top, your paychecks often times won't be accurate.

Once you get fired, or leave on your own because yes, absolutely there are GREAT jobs out there in the Denver Metro area - don't allow Dish to make you think that this company is IT. Not at all the case...

Anyway, once you leave Dish, go to Colorado Labor Board with your documentation and paystubs, and they will go to Dish, Dish will have to fill out tons of paperwork, and the Labor Board will get ALL the $$ Dish took from you for Autofails & Tier "human errors" and/or erroneous QA's that might just speak NOTHING of the TRUTH of that particular call. Always listen to the call they dinged you on, listen with your coach. Get it overturned. If it's not overturned, then get your commission back through our Labor Board.

It's not legal in Colorado for an employer to take away commission earned, as long as sale & installation is complete. It's your sale - get your money. And you WILL get your $$ once you leave Dish for good, and go to Labor Board. (It'll cost you nothing to get Labor Board involved.)

There is nothing streamlined for sales reps to SIMPLY follow-up and reconcile their sales from previous week to the actual pay they receive. This is intentional. Because if it were streamlined and sensible, we'd see the theft from our paychecks more easily. They're not about to make that happen.

The sales "compensation" structure changes frequently. They raise the bar, then raise the bar again. Lots & lots of variables involved, which makes it absolutely crazy-making to find out what you really should be paid.

Management hopes you just "give up" on tracking your money, and they count on people not having the time, not taking the time to make sure they're really getting paid. Because Mgmt knows it's an extremely complex and convoluted system for tracking your pay you actually earned.

So.... it's a constant revamping of pay structure into a complex web of mathematical algorithms. There's no simple, stream-lined way to track/project what pay you can anticipate. And like I said before, GOOD LUCK on ever knowing if you're really getting the commissions you've earned.

They allocate approx $1.5 MILLION/year for "prizes". So basically you're walking into a nasty gamble. If you can afford to gamble away your livelihood, by all means run with it!

Rather than offering compensation for work well done, and having occasional fun incentives/prizes, they budget MORE THAN 1 million dollars a year for something that you may never see, you may never enjoy, because the "prizes" are via raffle. Seriously, who DOES that?? That's weird. And uninspiring. I would have rather had that $$ allocated toward salary and benefits. If I had wanted a crapshoot, I'd have gone to Central City.

The health care, even if you opt in for the "premium" plan, is nothing but Major Medical/Catastrophic. Pathetic for a company this size, Fortune 200. But old Charlie boy ain't interested in giving back to employees, and doesn't much care to keep good people. And most people there were good ones. Charlie may be wealthy, but he's old. And nasty. And his day will soon come. As they say, Karma's a B****.

The cost relating to attrition is sky-high. I never understood why they nurtured the
    "revolving door/our-employees-are-completely-dispensable-and-of-little-interest-to-us"
    mentality. Seems like an expensive business practice.

And the Refer-A-Friend to work at Dish?? Ummm... even tho they supposedly pay something like $350 if the person you referred stays at least 90 days, I would never, EVER do this to a true friend. That would be cruel. If you detest someone, and want them to suffer, then refer them to work at Dish. I've heard of 3 cases where the current employees referred a friend or family member to work at Dish, and all obligations were fulfilled, but they NEVER got their referral fee. That's just who Dish is. Disgusting.

If you'd like to have a conversation (not a "confrontation", but rather a conversation) they feel threatened it seems. And management parrots (regurgitates), ad nauseum, the following: "If you don't like it here then leave."

Well that's not an effective way to communicate. Nothing moves forward, no progress is made. But at least they don't care. And that's the bottom line, there is such a LACK of CARING it's mind-blowing. And as long as they DON'T care, nothing will move forward and they'll continue with the enormous attrition expenses and the hell-on-earth work environment.

Oh - re: Sales Agents, Dish factors in a 1 to 2% "invalid" rate on incoming calls. That's absurd. But it allows Dish their massive greed, and payouts as small as they can be.

You CAN make money there, but the price you'll pay is quite likely your health, your family, and any sense of sanity. Such an unhealthy place.

Good co-workers, but a terribly corrupt nature based on greed. Charlie's greed. And if his little minions don't follow his lead, and his ruthless nature, they'll be gone. And they should count their blessings once freed from this prison.

Many days there I laughed and I had moments of FUN! My coworkers were fantastic!

However, read the rest of my post. There's so much more than being able to laugh and have fun at times. You can do that at ANY job.

This company can suck the very life right out of you. I've seen so much angst in employees' eyes, in their words, in their hearts. It's just NOT worth the angst and stress, along with being consistently monitored, and then manipulated into "thinking" a certain way. Sick.

And any nonsense you hear about Mgmt wanting to "improve life at Dish" is another manipulation - another trade-off. They make it appear as tho they're giving you something, but they make d*** sure you'll pay for it somewhere else.

If all you need is a quick paycheck, then try it out. You'll gain valuable experience. Seriously you will. Because if you can survive, or thrive, in this fear-based, punitive environment, you will absolutely SOAR in your next work place environment. So that's the PLUS side for any employee at Dish. Best to ya. Really, tho, you're too good to work at this corrupt, soul-sucking company.

And beware, peoples' relationships & marriages tend to suffer when one parent works at Dish. Sad to see, sad to hear. If you're a mom or dad with minor kids, don't do it. Your family will suffer, and you'll lose out on the BEST times and wonderful memories in your family's life.

There are other jobs. Don't risk your families. Don't risk your very important relationships. Not for this, not for people who see you as a commodity rather than as a human being with value.

Seriously?? "ADVICE" to Management??

Well let's see.... Nope, I got nothin'.

Because to spend time and effort offering advice to Management would require them actually caring. So there's no point. They know how they can improve morale. But they don't care. So I'm done. I'm free. I'm healthy now.

Worst company to work for in America for two years in a row, and they earned it.

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount of Dish service. Decent raises for good performers when they don't find an excuse not to give them. Profit sharing in Dish stock is nice, but it only performs well because they are bleeding their employees dry.

Cons

No respect for employees' lives. Constant mandatory changes to schedule, including making you work extra days, extending appointment windows for extremely long days, calling you in on your days off. No job security. They created a system with rules everyone has to break to complete their jobs, so they can fire anyone whenever they feel like it. Terrible health insurance. Terrible starting pay and terrible salaries for management. Everything they do to "improve life at Dish" is just a trade. Give you something, but make you pay for it somewhere else.

Learn that employees are human beings, not tools, and should be treated accordingly.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH