There are newer employer reviews for DISH

be prepared to deal with angry customers

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pine Brook, NJ
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pine Brook, NJ

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, fun coworkers, good managers, and flexible hours. By the end of the call, most customers are happy. Though I've only been here less than a year, it seems like there's plenty of room to move up! Several of my coworkers were promoted within 12 months of hire. I hope the same happens to me.

Cons

Customers call when their television isn't working and usually when they're missing their favorite program. So be prepared: as a CSR you will deal with a lot of very angry customers! To succeed at this job, you will need thick skin and a very calm disposition.

Advice to Management

Give us more PTO pleaaaase!

Other Employee Reviews for DISH

6 years: from sr analyst to director

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working as a senior analyst in 2008, and I'm now a director in CSC (Dish's call center ops). My employment Dish has been a very rewarding position. In addition to having a lot of career advancement opportunities, I get a good salary, decent health coverage, and great shared incentive plans (stock options). In my first year at Dish, share prices were below $10 and today it's almost $60. Woot! There's a lot of great people at Dish including some of the executive leaders and some true industry veterans. I admire Charlie Ergen for being a "self made man", and ultimate entrepreneur. His leadership style can be harsh at times, but employees look up to him as a straight shooter and an innovator. Employees who have been around Dish for a while look up to him. My recommendation for making a successful career at Dish is to take initiative and speak your honest opinion. I've always done that, and have been well rewarded. Some employees aren't assertive enough and soon feel frustrated by the lack of advancement.

Cons

Dish is a startup grown into a gigantic, fortune 200 company. You will be frustrated by some antiquated policies from the early days, and by bureaucracy that prevents fast action. After 6 years at Dish, I only get 15 PDO.

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive recruiting young talent. Dish needs young leaders who are willing to take risks and bold decisions.

Unemployment is Better than Employment at Dish

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Please see notes under the "Cons" section for my complete thoughts on employment at Dish's world headquarters in Englewood, Colorado.

Cons

Dish needs to be honest with itself. The company’s problem is not a bunch of negative reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor.com. Its problem is that Dish does not treat its employees very well. Dish must acknowledge and confront its real problems: its dissatisfied workforce and terrible reputation as an employer locally. By attacking Glassdoor.com and secretly planting its own positive reviews to skew the results, Dish is addressing a symptom caused by the true problems while pretending the true problems don’t exist. Mr. Joe Clayton has been Dish’s CEO for several years now and has claimed that the company is changing. The “improvements” have been negligible at best. Contributing ten dollars a month to an employee’s HSA account is not meaningful change, for example. LEAD training was a failure. To really address the problems, Dish’s culture of fear and blame must be eliminated. Compensation and benefits must be on par with the market, not below it. Disinterested and unrealistic managers must be removed. Employees must be treated with respect, not belittled or intimidated. The sad thing is that Dish’s unhappy workforce is so unnecessary. Dish has been successful enough to become a Fortune 200 company, but I feel it could have been even more successful. Had Dish been built with a healthier culture (see Netflix Culture Deck), it would have been able to recruit and retain the best minds in the industry. With the best talent, I see no reason why Dish could not have become another Netflix or Comcast. Instead Dish has a declining subscriber base and is looking to buy out or merge with other companies to stay viable. Yes, Dish may be able to save a buck or two in the short run by treating its employees cheaply both monetarily and emotionally, but that comes at a longer-term cost. In response to criticisms from employees, Dish’s chairman, Mr. Charlie Ergen, says, “Dish is not for everyone.” That sentence succinctly sums up everything you need to know about the company. The rotten culture comes from above, and Dish will not change. I have waited about a year since leaving the company to post my thoughts about my Dish experience. I wanted time to think and for personal biases to fade. I’ve concluded that Dish was a net negative for me and will likely be the same for you. It caused depression and harmed by career. If you accept a job offer from Dish, I suspect you will probably regret it. It’s better to be unemployed than an Dish employee.

Advice to Management

Please see notes above.