There are newer employer reviews for DISH

I worked at DISH almost a year, and at this point, I don’t ever want to even be a customer.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO
Former Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• The atrium was really beautiful inside the building.
• There were a lot of really nice people who worked there.
• The Halloween party was pretty cool.

Cons

• The environment is toxic - The culture is just so competitive, that it’s hard to get anything done without having to fight a battle over territory. Even the parking lot and cafeteria are competitions, and the company has no trust for its employees, which is evidenced with the badge report.
• Believe the reviews – There is a reason that DISH has won “Worst Place to Work in America” for two years in a row.
• The values are Pride, Adventure, Winning – This speaks to the complete absence of team work and collaboration within the company.
• Any kind of work requires no less than 4 VP approvals, so the work can become tedious and boring while waiting for things to happen. It’s just so territorial, that each VP wants to have a say in everything, which slows the process to a crawl. It’s amazing that ANYTHING gets done.
• Your time in the building matters. It doesn’t matter if you are productive while you’re there, but you must serve your time in the building. It’s unbelievable, but DISH has found a way to incentivize exempt employees to work “overtime.”
• The rumor of “talent upgrades” is true. They routinely fire the bottom 20%, which is really just their way of cleaning house and getting rid of the people they don’t like. I have never seen turnover at ANY company, as rampant as it was there. No sense in getting to know anyone, they’ll be gone soon anyway (or you yourself will decide to run).
• My direct supervisor was the one that advised me that the quality or quantity of my work didn’t matter – the future of my career there hinged solely on my “perception.” This is alarming, since promotions really are a popularity contest.
• Pay and benefits suck, but you would expect no less from a company that really has no concern or appreciation for its employees.

I think the current CEO tried to change some of this culture, but was largely unsuccessful.

The best advice I can give anyone is to not work here, don’t even apply. It’s not worth it. You are better than subjecting yourself to this environment and you will be appreciated more in ANY other company.

This company is just terrible, and the owner and upper management should be embarrassed.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving the culture - relax on the badge report, consider providing more than just one ice machine, etc. Employees actually work harder in environments that cultivate trust, team work, and positivity.

reviews filtered by
  1. Stable job with room to grow

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Pine Brook, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Pine Brook, NJ

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork and collaboration with my team. Managers are leaders but still kind and empathetic. The office space is pleasant with good climate control, ergonomic chairs. Competitive benefits and flexible hours.

If you work hard, learn the products, and show initiative, you will get promoted! There's high employee churn. This kind of sucks, but it means the opportunity to climb the ladder.

Cons

high employee churn, so you have to spend a lot of time training new hires.

Advice to Management

a slight pay raise would be great. ;)

decent company that treats employees pretty well

Former Employee - Field Technician in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Albany, NY

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- good pay
    - always get enough (if not too many) hours
    - customers are usually grateful to have television!
    - work independently
    - spend time in the great outdoors
    - support from centralized dispatch
    - great technology for work force management, antenna installations, and saftey

Cons

- too many hours sometimes!!
    - the hard physical work leaves me tired by the end of the day
    - not enough time out
    - managers can be lazy and enforce stupid rules

Advice to Management

Let us focus on getting work done. Why bother us with silly rules?