There are newer employer reviews for DISH

good work/life balance

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working at Dish for 2 years in the corporate finance department. There are 2 big pros for me:
1) Great work/life balance
Moving to Denver was life-changing. Weekends in the mountains. The camping, the biking, the healthy lifestyle. I've made some good friends. People from work go for drinks about once a week and initially my coworkers helped me meet friends and find my way around the city. Now I have other friends as well.
A lot of Dish employees come to work on public transportation or by bike, and some running groups run around Meridian on lunch breaks since there are showers in Building II. I'm usually in the office from 8am till 630pm which is reasonable for the finance industry.

2) Corporate experience in a public company
Dish is a vertically integrated company that has a lot of departments and many stakeholders. Building dashboards for C-level execs and helping make informed decisions for marketing budget allocations has been a good learning. My duties are clearly assigned and feedback is usually quick if rather brief. I think it's probably one of the better employers in Denver.

Cons

Vacation time isn't great. Also, I wish the corporate finance time got to evaluate more of the strategy deals. I was hoping I would get to work on the wireless M&A activity, but that seems to be a small cadre of employees surrounding the chairman. I haven't been involved.

Give us a little more paid time off?

1798 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

pretty good

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- good sales commission structure
    - flexible hours
    - pace-yourself work
    - dish has done a good job simplifying the service and offering more channels. Sales are getting easier imho

Cons

training can be boring and you're not making commissions while you're training!

reduce mandatory OT

Crazy busy, sometimes with true-north focus as a company, then again, sometimes not so much.

Former Employee - Management in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Management in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really great people come to work here, but they usually leave after they've been worked to death. Salaries are ok, but need to be re-evaluated against other industry telecom leaders.Benefits are decent, comparable to other industries/market. There is some schedule flexibility depending on what department you're in and your manager's mood for the week.

Cons

Far too many high level expectations and unreasonable deadlines without good leadership, communication, decent compensation, the right equipment and the wrong people in management. (Lording over and micro-managing others so they can cover their own tails, because they didn't do their due diligence.) Thank goodness the badging in/out process has changed (or at least I heard it had been). It isn't Ft.Knox for crying out loud. It's a consumer entertainment company.

You hired someone based on their skill sets and abilities, test scores, etc. Let them do their jobs without micro-managing every little aspect of the project or event. Be prepared yourself, take initiative and communicate what you want, and don't change the rules of the game in mid-play, unless you talk it over as a team. Stopping and starting over is no fun and frustrates everybody, not just you.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH