Up for the challenge

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The last few years have been a great time to work for Dish in the marketing department. Since Joe Clayton took the reigns in 2012, there's been a big focus on re-branding Dish and I'm proud to have been part of the team that accomplished that. We get to work with large budgets and big campaigns, and I have the impression that employees at other companies with similiar experience do not get nearly as much responsibility. That being said, it's certainly a challenge and requires stepping up to the plate. A lot of people can't handle the pressure of being given projects that are beyond their expertise and comfort zone. I took the dive and said yes to a lot of challenges. I'm glad I did because the experience and learning has been great.

Cons

Salary is a bit less than competitive, though it's made up for with other benefits like stock options and 401(k).
A good work / life balance can be challenging to maintain.

Advice to Management

Maintain good communication from the top suites to the rank and file.

reviews filtered by

Good projects, but little flexibility for employees

Current Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Because of the complexity of the vertically integrated company, IT projects are really cutting edge and we are experienced running some of the biggest CRMs and ERPs in the world. The CIO has won a bunch of awards because we really do practice best practices for in our systems. This is a great opportunity to get experience working on enterprise solutions.

This wasn't always the case, so the last few years have involved a lot of migrations and redundant systems. It was truly challenging, but in the end most of us our quite proud of our accomplishments and contribution.

Cons

Work hours are not flexible. This isn't standard in the IT industry. There's also no opportunity to work from home.

Advice to Management

Allow engineers to have flexible schedules like any other tech company or IT department.

review from rural installations office

Current Employee - Dish Installer in Rifle, CO
    Current Employee - Dish Installer in Rifle, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working as a Dish installer for almost 2 years, and it's honestly one of the best jobs I've had. After weeks of paid training, I was put out on my own work orders. The feeling of responsibility and self-dependence is great. In addition to good starting pay, there's opportunity to move up if you meet your metrics. The team is tight and supports each other. I look up to my boss who is shows up to help on more difficult jobs. Plus, the company trusts me with a phone, tablet, and a van. This is also the first job I've had with a 401(k) match.

Cons

I'm based in Rifle, so techs do a lot of driving. The workforce management software does not track miles, so our metrics are compared with techs in suburban and urban areas where they can do more installations and service rolls per day. This is a bit unfair.

Advice to Management

Factor distance traveled into metrics. more vacation time?