There are newer employer reviews for DLA Piper

The Borg of Law Firms

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY
Former Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is top of market. All major practice areas have amazing talent across the country. If you are driven and focused you can build a practice doing exactly what you want. Only serious and committed attorneys, no room for slouches.

Cons

Depending on your location, your practice (and local partners) may not be a favorite of the larger practice group. Path to partnership extremely challenging and completely dependent on the circumstances in your location. What works in Boston and San Diego might not work at all in New York or Washington. 24/7 culture.

63 Other Employee Reviews for DLA Piper (View Most Recent)

Typical Large Law Firm

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Seattle, WA

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Acceptable salary and benefits.
    Professional working environment with ample resources.

Cons

Firm is too large. Difficult to navigate departments and policies. Bad or good behavior simply does not get recognized.
    Staff is undervalued. If you don't have a law degree you are basically a piece of furniture.

Treat your employees right and they will work ten-fold for you.

Good Company - Very Title Oriented

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on the department you work in, there is room to grow and move around to do other things if you desire. The benefits are comparable to other organizations, and the pay is decent--in some cases, better than you will find for the same role at other organizations.

Cons

It's a law firm and the attorneys/partners know who brings in the big bucks. Because of this, support staff may be treated any kind of way. I did not work directly with the attorneys, but I still managed to be cursed out by several simply because I was on the front line or answered the phone when they had an inquiry. It was tough. We were stuck between trying to enforce the rules of the organization while not upsetting the lawyers.

Even if the attorneys or partners bring in millions for the organization, it is not good for them to know that they're untouchable and that HR rules don't apply to them.

There are newer employer reviews for DLA Piper