There are newer employer reviews for DSI

Extraordinarily challenging place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive
Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at DSI

Pros

DSI had a reasonable technical solution set although it was too Oracle JDEdwards focussed which limitted the potential market outside North America.

They also had good IT infrastructure and HR systems for a company of their size

Cons

I have to concur with another review, DSI was quite the worst company I had ever experienced in my 18 year professional career. It was impossible to make any kind of decision as control was exerted from the CEO/CFO on just about everything which was incredibly frustrating. On top of that, I have never experienced micromanagement quite to the level I did here. Worse however was the culture of fear, I would go to work every single day wondering if I would still have a job by 5pm, it just sapped energy and motivation out of you.

Aside from personal issues, the company is trying to transform from selling a tactical solution to a more strategic one and despite working hard and gaining useful insight to the potential of the UK market, my views were considered worthless perpetuating the probable inability to transform.

Advice to Management

I have to say it is as simple as treating employees like human beings and trusting them to make more right decisions than wrong ones. As a company you are trying to break in to a new markets and if you completely shackle people you are doomed to fail.

You also need to open you ears to employee ideas even if they are critical and respond accordingly. It is easy to accuse a single employee of being weak but if ten people in a team fail you have to question if all ten were bad, or if the company was doing something wrong.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great opportunities and salary only overshadowed by very expensive health insurance.

I have been working at DSI (Less than a year)

Pros

Smaller company that's growing fast. There is lots of perks that the company provides that makes it cool to work here. Free gym membership, random catered food, etc.

Lots of career growth here and really bright people. For the most part management is easy going. Company stays close to the bleeding edge of technology so you get to see lots of cool things.

Slick headquarters that has cool technology built into the place. Its a little strict on what can be out in the open and nothing is labeled in the break rooms.

Cons

Benefits. A family of 4 insured will cost you over $600 a month. That's medical alone. Dental is cheap for the most part. Vision is typical. They tout that they pay 60 something % of the overall cost though. Seems like they are getting ripped off and have no concept of shopping around and doing everything to find a better plan.

Coverage is average If not just a hair better than that. Tack on $80 for parking in the deck every month and the 1% KCMO tax and you will see any pay raise you get coming here go away.

No 401k matching. They seem to have no desire to change this.

Advice to Management

If you want to hire the best talent, compete and retain people, start with your benefits. This is absolutely unacceptable. Everything else seems good.

2. Overall good company, high demanding work.

Former Employee - Software Development in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Development in Kansas City, MO

I worked at DSI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, bonuses, nice office space . Good place to work if you dont mind horse playing we it time to get work done. The space is open so ppl play nurf game across the floor.

Cons

Expected to perform at a high demad in a short time. Commuting to downtown. No time at all to learn a highly complexed Intergrated systems

Advice to Management

Be open and honest dont hide behind other management