DST Systems

There are newer employer reviews for DST Systems

Principal Application Analyst

Current Employee - Principal Applications Analyst in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Principal Applications Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at DST Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Any level of employees have a good opportunity to further education within the company and outside of the company. Has a great benefit package including: health, dental, vision, and time off.

Cons

Organization is in bad place at the moment, top management making changes within the organization every few months, which causes bad morale. Top leaders are being recruited from eastern United States and not local.

Stop reorganizing divisions every few months and add stability. Need to reward your dedicated employees with more than 2% annual raises. Also, give opportunities for advancement to current employees.

179 Other Employee Reviews for DST Systems (View Most Recent)

Weak leadership, sinking ship.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at DST Systems

Pros

The People. Co-workers are usually helpful and most care about the health of the company.

Cons

Poor leadership from top. Senior management is seen as not trust worthy and out of touch. Middle managers are more concerned about keeping their poker buddies close than keeping the best employees in the right positions. Develop your staff. The tradition of 60+ Hour work weeks is alive and well here. Regular layoffs and no stability. Pay increases are 3% at best if at all. High use of offshore resources leave US teams poorly staffed and struggling with workload. Company is very concerned about negative publicity. Events surrounding this company are regularly kept out of the news.

Lead by example, trust your employees, stop the political games.

Rigid work environment with little flexibility; disciplined and rule orientated.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at DST Systems

Pros

Decent benefit package, tuition reimbursement, medical, dental, 50/50 arts discount, vacation time is accrued based upon time with the company. After 20 years any associate can earn 6 weeks of time off. Discounted covered parking, break rooms are okay.

Generous severance package

Cons

DST has a certain culture, that if you do not fit the mold, you will not succeed. All of the management I encountered had held positions in the organization for numerous years, many 20 plus. They do things a certain way because that's the way they've alway done it. There is not room for those who disagree or challenge that way of thinking. It is assumed you know their way, because everyone else does. This makes it difficult as an outsider to come into a non-entry level position and succeed.

The company quietly lays of a few people quarterly that they do not like or feel aren't performing. They are able to keep it out of the news as the numbers are low enough to not be news worthy. Another well know fact is the mutual fund business is changing and billing practices are causing DST to lose money. Management is very public with this knowledge. I wish I had know when I accepted the job that opportunities for growth were limited as management turnover is non-existent, the industry was losing money, and the company has a history of laying off employees.

I guess this will teach me to do my research better next job opportunity.

When I was laid off, I noticed a surplus of job opportunities posted at DST. Where were these opportunities when I worked at DST? I was not a good fit with the culture of my department, but would have welcomed the chance to find another department that was a better fit.

Layoffs and hiring are very expensive. For a company that is searching for the next profitable business venture, this makes little sense. DST is as most companies, very concerned about their reputation. As someone who moved from out of state, it did not take me long to hear negative feedback about working at State Street. I still occasionally hear comments. Soon it will be your company they are talking about.

If you want change, rid yourself of the stale thinking senior management. Bring in people who rock the boat. Group think doesn't work for anyone.

There are newer employer reviews for DST Systems