I didn't like it, and I'm glad I left

Current Employee - Staff Network Engineer
Current Employee - Staff Network Engineer

I have been working at DST Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a big company, that's IT centric (for the most part). So you will get a lot of exposure to high end technology and a lot of great experience.

Cons

DST is your stereotypical corporate environment. Managers are the "haves" and everyone else are the "have not’s". Employees get worked like slaves, required overtime, poor treatment, and really just no consideration or professionalism when it comes to employees and how they are treated (from a career deveopment perspective). Management is seen as a huge boys club. Filled with middle aged men who have been there forever and are in the know, versus actually being competent at their jobs. The CIO seems like he really wants to change things, but he is hampered by old and out of touch senior leadership, who are more interested in protecting their fiefdoms then improving the way DST operates.

Advice to Management

You seem to distrust your employees, so you don't promote or develop them. You don't hold everyone equally accountable or properly train new employess.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Meh

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at DST Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good benefits - quiet work environment (also can be a con) -great parking

Cons

I just can't get with the rigid work environment and mandatory overtime. I swear my brain feels like it's frying by the end of the day. Micromanagement is at a high with this company so if you are looking for an "Office Space" type feel well this is the job for you. I do not feel like you can grow much within this company and I feel very well underpaid. I think they need to research "google like" tactics to actually keep their employees. While the work environment is quiet it is also very dry and I feel indifferent about my coworkers. Not much for creativity or social interaction much at this company. I feel like they are way "late in the times" when it comes to their management. The computer systems are always "down." One would think that a big company like this would improve in technology. Fortunately the TC's I work with are very nice and have been very helpful but at the same time this place is definitely not a place I work with for life

Advice to Management

Leave space for your employers to grow!

Kansas City -- what do you expect?

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at DST Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My paychecks came on time.

Cons

DST bought a division of State Street in New York that I worked for. State Street had same-sex domestic partner benefits (this was 2002), and DST didn't. I went back and forth with them, refuting arguments such as "it will cost us money" and "it will raise our experience." Finally, it came down to "we are just not going to do that." They cut my pay. They outsourced my job to Australia. Finally, after being lazy about 401K consolidation for too many years, I got on top of that this year. DST's process for 401K distributions is still paper-based, is done once a month, and involves at least six weeks of waiting before I got my distribution. I would expect nothing less.

Advice to Management

Get rid of that person in HR who said "when I started we did distributions once a year."