DSW

www.dsw.com
  www.dsw.com
There are newer employer reviews for DSW

Great a first but can get a bit boring

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall management is very good. There are a couple managers that can work on being nicer and less condescending but there are also some awesome ones that outweigh the bad.
If you just want part-time work DSW is great. You actually get part-time hours (20 and even more) unlike most retailers. If you love shoes and actually like providing good customer service this place is great. The schedules are pretty flexible, especially if you are a college student.

Cons

As mentioned, a couple of the managers are not very nice and even hearing them on the walkies can be irritating but if you just learn to ignore it everything works out fine. It can get a little boring after working more than a year, but then again not many people in retail last even more than 6 months. Too many young people get hired here (18-20) and for those a bit older this can be quite annoying, especially if you get a closing shift when everyone seems to be going haywire. The one thing I really did not like about working there was the rewards membership. It is very easy to get them on the register but I honestly think we should not annoy customers too much while they are shopping. The most irritating thing is that some of the "top performers" bother the customers, hardly ever genuinely ask to help them, and do not clean around the store, and sometimes even lie about the details of the membership. I cant even count the times I rang up a customer who signed up on the floor say "Oh I thought I get 10 dollars off, that's what that lady told me". I dont know if management ever realizes this but the rest of us do.

Make sure you are always nice to your employees. I know that some days are very stressful but your attitude directly affects everyone else.

533 Other Employee Reviews for DSW (View Most Recent)

A great store

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newnan, GA

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great place to start out if you haven't had a job. Teaches you good time management. The staff quickly becomes almost like family, a lot of teamwork is involved. Pay is decent, with chances for a raise and promotions.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are slim, however if you prove you are a hardworker you are more likely to be scheduled more often, in my experience.

Its all been downhill

Current Employee - DSW ASSOCIATE in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - DSW ASSOCIATE in Akron, OH

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't too many pros anymore. Decent discount and dress code is easy. Love the people I work with.

Cons

Since I started in high school, we have had 5 different store managers. Most of them were incompetent. Finally, last year, we got a manager who knew her stuff. She truly made it americas favorite place to work and to buy shoes. But upper management didn't want us to grow sales and have a blast doing it so they brought in this manager from the outside. She has no clue. She sits in the office and calls other managers to complain about how much she hates it here. Now our favorite manager left in March and the other assistant gave her 2 weeks. I used to want to stay but now I cant wait to leave.

Know which managers are doing the work and keeping the store running. Just because a store is up in numbers, doesn't mean the store manager has a clue. The assistants do the work and keep us having fun. Without them, this place sucks.

There are newer employer reviews for DSW