There are newer employer reviews for DSW

Mostly good, have the bad days

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lawrenceville, NJ
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lawrenceville, NJ

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount was huge Love the people I work with, except one or two but I rarely work with them Ops and Merchandising managers are amazing Give extra hours if you want/need them District manager is amazing and really actually gives a darn about the associates

Cons

Store manager has really bad mood swings When rewards sign-ups are down, management stresses out, stressing out the employees

Advice to Management

Don't pressure associates and cashiers to be so on top of rewards. There are bad days, and we do the best we can.

Other Employee Reviews for DSW

It's retail--what do you expect?

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, laid back managers who make working shifts particularly enjoyable The first store manager was too nit-picky, rude in an oddly friendly but subtle way. Second store manager is much more experienced and knowledgeable; turned the store around from little things concerning day-to-day operations to big things like policy and procedure. We are now much more organized and getting on the same page. Great group of people to work with! Can't think of anyone I don't particularly like. Never have any qualms with the team. Some great customers to work with. Great employee discount.

Cons

Nthing the rewards program ordeal. I have been asked several times if we work on commission based on how much this program is pushed to our customers. We are constantly told that we aren't going to be fired for not being able to get customers to sign up, but we will be taken off registers and shoved back into clearance if we have too many 'bad days', which subsequently means we're forgotten. =( Need to find a different approach to signing customers up; make it less stressful for both managers and associates alike. We are not on commission and if customers do not wish to sign up, then we should not feel like we are being forced to push it on them. Find a way to better promote the store/not build in locations that make it difficult for the customer to discover its existence. We are tucked in a small corner in a small shopping center and after two years, we are still getting customers who had no idea we are there. Scheduling is shocking to say the least. One week will see 22 hours (if you're lucky) and the next you could be down to 4. This is not reasonable for someone who works two part time jobs trying to make ends meet. Not everyone who works retail is living off of their parents money, still in high school and still at home. Promotions are/were a matter of favoritism and not based on skill. Focus on policy and procedure as opposed to becoming "AFPS" and "AFPW". While these values and behaviors are important, many of the associates AND managers were confused and often on different pages. This confuses the customer, and it also allows them to take advantage of one person saying one thing while one says another. This is also still an acceptable practice at other locations. We tend to receive customers who have been told the wrong thing about policy and end up picking up other stores slack. Yearly raises are pathetic and hardly worth bothering with. Point system for emergencies and other serious events can be absolutely ridiculous; especially for part-time employees who are not offered any sort of PTO.

Advice to Management

District managers should stay on top of policy and procedure for ALL stores in their area. Review rewards program incentives and stress on pushing employees to push the program

Clueless District Manager... Lazy, Mean and overbearing Store Managers.

Pros

The pay is good for retail. 40 hour workweeks for managers. Less if your the Store Manager.

Cons

The Store Managers are all female who are hired for their ruthlessness and cruelty. They rarely leave the office unless they want to yell at an assistant manager or employee. The more horrible a store manager is to her employees, the more she is praised and recognized by the district manager. If an employee calls the Safe2Say hotline to complain about mistreatment, that employee is typically fired or retaliated against. Because this is well known most stores are run by fear and threats of corrective action. There is zero potential to advance if your an associate. If your a good assistant manager you will most likely be fired. lf your a lazy and cruel assistant manager you have a 10% chance to be promoted if you can drum up enough drama with misconduct toward associates, get enough customer complaints and throw enough people under the bus. internal promotion is extremely rare.

Advice to Management

Mike McDonald(CEO) should take a long hard look at the Michigan district.