DSW

There are newer employer reviews for DSW

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Haven, CT
Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Haven, CT

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is fun and the customers are great!

Cons

There are no cons to working here.

580 Other Employee Reviews for DSW (View Most Recent)

Best part time job I ever had

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD

I worked at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

So many shoes!!!! The management team is terrific in my store. They create such a great environment and value their employees. They were open, honest, professional, and treated everyone fairly. The store manager held regular mini meetings with employees to seek our input, ideas, and give the opportunity to raise issues. I loved working with the entire team. Great schedule for people with full time jobs or school. They were flexible and most shifts were short and manageable with a full time job. Store was very clean, fun, and a pleasant atmosphere for customers and employees. Customers were mostly great.

The company lives their values! They listen to employees and really try to make it a great work environment. The discount was great as well, 30% off and even on the clearance shoes. Did I mention... so many shoes!!!!

Cons

The company pushes rewards too much. It's obvious that store management has pressure from above. They try not to pressure the employees too much but it's evident. Rewards are talked about constantly.

The attendance policy is too strict. You are allowed only 6 absences in a year until you get fired and that is even if you have a doctor's note! You get written up after 2 absences. We lost a couple of great employees because they got "points" and knew they wouldn't make it so they quit. They had mostly what would be considered excused absences anywhere else. I know it's important to hold associates accountable but it's just too strict and inflexible.

Training was not great when I was hired but they have done much better with newer associates I think. I believe a new training program has been implemented since I was hired.

Fix the attendance policy! You are losing good employees because of it. Keep seeking employee feedback.

Great place to build on a management career

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at DSW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, compensation, hours considering the retail environment, team environment

Cons

Limited ability for advancement, slower growth than in the past, regional directors make snap judgements and are not in the field very often.

There are newer employer reviews for DSW