DSW

There are newer employer reviews for DSW

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Lansing, MI
Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Lansing, MI

I worked at DSW part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Communication with customers and other sales associates. Keeps you on your feet. Can be pretty chill when it is show. Good work environment as far as working with other associates and management. Easy to learn.

Cons

When it is busy (during boot season) it can be very tiring. And your on your feet for hours. Extension program is not my favorite but I got used to it after a while.

580 Other Employee Reviews for DSW (View Most Recent)

The experience is exceptional and working with a great group of people.

Former Employee - Dsw Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Dsw Sales Associate in Concord, NC

I worked at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If your a shoe lover, you'll love to work there, you'll see the newest trends first.

Cons

The labor of making the store beautiful to customers by rearranging fixtures and shelves :-).

Keep up the good work :-)!

Absolutely Nowhere to Go - Nowhere

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you like shoes, you get a decent (30%) discount, not the best in my experience in retail, but I know of other large companies that are much worse. Your discount is also applied to any already existing clearance pricing.

I love most of the people I work with; they're fun to be around and I look forward to being with them. Most of them are pretty conscientious and work as part of the team to get the job done. My coworkers are what keeps me coming back daily.

Day goes by quickly if the place is busy. The work is relatively simplistic.

Dress code is relaxed - we can wear jeans, which is a nice bonus.

Cons

In my experience (and I can only speak to what I know about in my store and district) - internal promotions are minimal to non-existent. You can work your tail off for however long you wish as a part-timer. Don't expect to get anywhere. The company uses an irrelevant on-line personality testing system that has zero to do with any store procedures or company policies to determine who is allowed to interview for any available positions, and if you don't pass the test, you go nowhere. Quickly. The people you get in your stores as employees are good test-takers, not necessarily good retail employees. The system is also used for internal promotions, rather than basing any advancement on your position knowledge, store procedures knowledge, commitment to the company or past accomplishments.

Management does not back employees whatsoever when a customer complains about something. The customer is believed 100% of the time, and the employee's explanation (when asked) is disregarded and the employee is given a written documentation in his/her personnel file, while the customer is likely given a generous discount on an item or a gift card. Company policies are changed based on whether or not customers like them; you can be asked to enforce a certain policy one week and if a customer complains, the policy is out the window the next. Employees are highly expendable.

Pressuring customers to sign up for the "rewards program" is out of control. I personally present it as an opportunity to people, but if someone says "no", I don't take it any further. It's one of the major hot buttons at DSW, and management is tone-deaf to it. Managers are raked over the coals if they don't produce a certain amount of sign-ups and employees are not compensated for their efforts. It's tedious to have to listen to your manager every half hour telling you that we need more sign-ups and it matters little if we're doing badly or exceeding expectations in that area - it's never, ever enough.

The point system for missing a day and not replacing yourself or being late is nonsensical. You accumulate six "penalty" points in a year and you're out the door, no matter how good of a job you do. I get there early, rarely call in, and I'm not the only one who comes to work sick so I don't get any points.

Picking up after people who cannot find a trash can to save their souls is tiresome. Customers leave stuff on the floor, under the benches, under boxes. They trash the bathrooms. Half the time, it looks like a paper factory exploded.

And why do I work there? i need the money. Plain and simple.

Please please listen to your employees and your store managers. You have in-store chats with employees, I know you do because I am invited to participate from time to time. Our requests and concerns go unheeded, as do the managers to the district manager (who, evidently in our district, is one of the most disliked people on the planet). Spend some money on your employees - promote us because we're good, not because we pass a test. Give us more than a quarter an hour raise. How about a bonus for employees in stores that exceed sales goals? How about SOME incentives for people to perform?

There are newer employer reviews for DSW