a lot of work, a lot of appreciation yet not rewarded properly for it

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at DSW part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great atmosphere for the most part, middle management is uplifting yet upper management tends to be hidden away. always moving around and doing different tasks so there is never a dull moment.

Cons

the lack of ability to retain employees and lack of support and help from management when needed. No leadership within management makes it difficult to reach expectations set by them.

Other Reviews for DSW

Ready to go

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at DSW part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros are the discounts and the fact that you are first to see the newest shoes and fashions. I always loved this opportunity. I also met some people that were fun to work with. Met some really nice customers that made working there less stressful. This location was pretty flexible with hours. I got hired immediately and was able to use this job as a stepping stone after graduating from college.

Cons

Oh the cons... First of all, the minute I started working there, there was a guy that was very aggressively trying to date me. It made me very uncomfortable and when I brought it to the attention of the managers, they shook their heads and said he was like that. A few months later, he made a very derogatory statement to me and I finally got a manager to get on his case. Secondly, whenever a customer gives you a hard time, the managers here don't seem to be on the associate's side. I can't count on both hands how many times a customer tried to do something that was against store policy and when I would call a manager to back me up on this policy, they would instead nonchalantly tell me to let the customer do whatever they wanted. It's really confusing and tears you down because you try so hard not to break rules and to do what's right, but the manager just shuts down what you just said and makes you look like the one who is wrong in the customer's eyes. It makes you wonder why you even adhere to the rules. Third, cleaning up after people gets tiring. If you're young, living with your parents, or in college, this job might be for you because you wouldn't have home responsibilities. Now that I am on my own, I have no desire to clean up after customers. Especially when they see you cleaning and will literally walk away from you with about 8 boxes and 10 random shoes (not exaggerating, especially for this location). Fourth!!! The managers need to learn how to communicate with the associates properly. I've had managers curse at us, yell at us at the top of their lungs, say nasty things over the walkies, use the walkies to talk about non-work related subjects, touch me inappropriately, take their home matters out on me, etc... I suppose I wouldn't really be bothered by this if all of the managers pulled the same weight as the associates do, but really, only about 2 of our managers actually help us out on the floor. The others are known to be in the office for a great part of the shift and will really take their time when you ask them to come up front for assistance.

My advice to management is that there needs to be a course on how to be a manager, leader and supporter of your team. Managers here seem to be flaky and are not concerned with their associates. This is supposed to be "America's Favorite Place to Work" but it's actually just been my most stressful place to work. I am so grateful that I was able to work here and I have learned a lot about people and personalities, but management really needs to tune up who they choose to be the leaders in this company.

Mediocre retail posision.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at DSW full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dress code is fair. Sometimes every one is in a good mood. They have Reeses in the break room vending machine.

Cons

The management is always hostile, and constantly grouping together to talk smack about associates. Hard workers who always do their job don't get recognition, whereas slackers who suddenly feel like working get "bravo" awards for doing so. The phrase "the customer is always right" has proven to be a terrible mindset for a company considering the extremely high turn over rate. Very few associates spend more than a year here due to the humiliation of constantly being told they are wrong. There is a huge difference in providing outstanding customer service, going above and beyond, and letting a customer degrade your associate and tell them they can return their 3 year old worn shoes with no receipt. The attendance policy is also a joke. Can't drive to work in a foot of snow? You get a point. Get a few more and you're fired. I actually laughed at the fact that they keep running for America's favorite place to work.

Ensuring your associates feel happy and confident rather than constantly on edge will ensure they provide the best customer service. This means not snapping when they need to leave once their shift is up. It is not their fault you cannot construct a schedule. It also means understanding how annoying it is to be pressured to become a member, and that is doing the opposite of providing good service. Recognize the hard workers so they don't just leave the company along with leaving you with only the slackers.

There are newer employer reviews for DSW.

Worked for DSW? Contribute to the Community!