DTE Energy

Buy a big generator...

Current Employee - Peon in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Peon in Detroit, MI

I have been working at DTE Energy

Pros

For the most part, job security is good. Benefits are good, but not what they were 10 years ago.
Pay is very good, at least in the plants.
The people I work with are great.

Cons

Predatory attendance policy, especially for shift workers. If you miss 3 days in a year, a fourth gets you a letter.
Each time you are off after that, you get another letter. They stay in your file for 9-12 months, if you get to the 4th, you're out.

Senior Management cuts repair and outage budgets to the bone, even on equipment that is well past "end of life".
Most of our tradespeople are within 10 years of retirement, and we have half the number of journeymen we had 10
years ago. Even when we get the money and parts to fix something, we no longer have enough people to get it
fixed in a timely manner.

Senior Management awards themselves huge bonuses, stock awards, and pay increases, while the message they
send us is that we should do more with less. They built a multi million dollar reflecting pool at the 3 office buildings
they have downtown, now known as 1 Energy Plaza, formerly 2000 2nd Ave, Detroit, MI.

At the same time, they discontinued the profit sharing for represented employees, the ones that make the power, and get it to our customers, and cut a periodic outage on a generating unit back 80% on time and money.

Upper mismanagement are looting the company, and inventing executive jobs for their friends.
The only concern downtown is what did the stock price do today, and how much money did we make.

Get some people with an Operating and/or Engineering (real engineering) background in upper management,
and listen to them. The plants are falling apart. Stop looking down on the people that do the work, and work with
us to fix things, instead of focusing on workforce reduction, and cutting our benefits at contract time.
Our company is full of very intelligent people, many of whom are disgusted by the waste and excess
downtown, while being told to do more with less, or else. We all want DeCo to thrive, we need partners in
Senior Management to make that happen. Not adversaries.

115 Other Employee Reviews for DTE Energy (View Most Recent)

Good place to work in a bad economy.

Current Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at DTE Energy

Pros

Fairly stable place for employment, moderately flexible, free parking, management has integrity, interesting things going on in the company related to renewable energy

Cons

Distribution of work is not balanced, some employees are bored, some are overworked. Lack of career advancement opportunities. You can get stuck in the same job for 30 years and then they will promote from the outside. Older workforce. Low employee engagement scores. Low morale.

Take advantage of the talent you have in your younger employees. Harness their ideas and energy and provide opportunities for them to make meaningful contributions to the company. Hold managers accountable. Embrace technology.

Company catching up to the 21st century technology, but has serious personnel issues.

Current Employee - Principal Account Manager
    Current Employee - Principal Account Manager

I have been working at DTE Energy

Pros

interesting work. Lots of opportunities to learn about new technology and about other parts of the company. Low risk for unemployment. Family oriented.

Cons

Little opportunity for promotions. Poor communication between working groups. Lack of resources due to cost cutting.

Company is moving in the right direction for technology, but senior management has serious issues with recruiting and retaining their best talent.

There are newer employer reviews for DTE Energy