There are newer employer reviews for Dachis Group

A great company for those that like fast-moving startups

I have been working at Dachis Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came on board Dachis Group several years ago through an acquisition. It's been really terrific in terms of the work, the travel, the top-tier clients, and career benefits. There's plenty of opportunity for self-starters and up-and-comers in a brand new yet high profile industry. Be warned, however, that those who don't like to work hard or are afraid of change need not apply.

The company has come a long way since the early days in terms of benefits, both formal and informal (including good health care and 401k plans, as well as a physical fitness-oriented culture.) There's a laid back work environment, despite the rapid growth of the last few years, at least when it comes to the office atmosphere. The many acquisitions over the last couple of years have made sure there's a wide mix of personalities and skills, though keeping up with everything and everybody can be pretty challenging at times.

The Austin office is certainly the biggest and the center of the universe, and probably has the best amenities. In terms of company direction, the firm continues to have a focus on both consulting/agency work as well as the company's newer software products. If you're a developer or a management consultant, or just a creative type, I'm pleased to say there's room for everyone.

We have really friendly natives too, probably the nicest and most interesting group of people at a startup I've seen in a long while. But perhaps most of all, having a real impact at well-known clients and helping create a new industry go at the top of the list.

Cons

The company has had to adapt to both shifts in the market as well as a rapid pace of growth, and this has led to a lot of change in the last few years. Not everyone is happy with that, but that's just the reality for just about any startup. I'd say the company is as well-organized as its ever been at the moment, but there's little doubt that employees do have to pay close attention to stay aligned with the corporate direction, though there are certainly opportunities to help drive direction as well.

Lots of travel and late nights can take their toll too. At least if you're on the delivery side of the organization, though that's now been offset with a smart vacation plan that lets you take pretty much as much time as you need off to recover, no questions asked.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with the folks on the ground. Be alert the many employees think that overly positive messages from management are seen as spin.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Lots of promises, little delivery, poor execution from management

I have been working at Dachis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a great deal about agency dynamics, sales cycles, working with teams in high stress situations, discerning lip service from truth, etc.

Cons

Upon acquisition of the company I worked for, it sounded as though we would have access to international travel, flexible roles, clear career pathways, food perks, etc. These things became less of a priority to the company when management struggled to organize a sales strategy, consolidate the company offering, and integrate multiple offices under one umbrella.

My guess is that investors wanted to hedge their bets by selling services and a product simultaneously. The services came from the acquisition of many smaller companies that were difficult to combine, both financially and operationally. The product was still in its early days and wasn't ready for the public. When the executive team failed to create a viable service offering after 2 years, and several large accounts were lost, the service side of the business was butchered and focus was pu completely on the product.

None of this was necessarily bad. Companies go through these transitions. It's business. But lack of transparency, contrived meetings about "company values", top down management style, constant role shuffling and the like made the 2 years a roller coaster.

Advice to Management

Slow down, focus, and treat people right

2. Always interesting, never dull

Current Employee - Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Dachis Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've learned a great deal and been challenged with some great projects. The other developers are generous with their help and I try to do the same.

Cons

Gossip driven; US centric; not always organized.

Advice to Management

No spin