I loved working here

Former Intern - Ambassador in Indianapolis, IN
Former Intern - Ambassador in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere, Nice employees and employees, nice pay

Cons

Didn't get a lot of training.

Advice to Management

Better training and Benefits

Other Employee Reviews for Damar Services

It was a very confusing and frequently disheartening place to work.

Former Employee - Teacher in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

The best reason to work for Damar is the kids. It is a very unique eperience that you not be able replicate many places.

Cons

At Damar is all about who you know. Employees are hired in for only a couple of reasons: the person is willing to work for cheap, the person has a skill that can be exploited, the person is not from America, or the person knows an middle mangement or higher Damar employee. The job is very unrewarding and uncertain with regards to management expectations. I personally recieved an excellent review my last year there. About a month later recieved an email informing me to fix many problems with my work or be fired. Even after working on all the skills mentioned and making huge gains (told to me by my supervisor) I was laid off a couple months later. The company had decided to replace several licensed teachers with unlicensed and newer teachers to lower costs. Finally, brush up on African languages. English is not the primary language at Damar, the primary language is various Afrian languages.

Advice to Management

Tell the true. If an employee needs to improve, let them know and help them get there. I frequently felt underfire for everything I tried. I realize this is not the American way, but a little focus on money and more the kids would make a better work place also. Finally, hire employees who speak English. Part of the difficulty at Damar is in communicating with the kids and staff. Since the kids have limited communication skills and that is part of the reason why they are there. You should control the half you can. If a person cannot answer interview questions adequately and speak in an understandable language for staff, how do you think the kids feel?

Rewarding position with low pay/benefits.

Former Employee - Nurse in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Nurse in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Rewarding to work with dissadvantaged individuals.

Cons

Company was unorganized and for it to be a non-profit organization-seemed to be interested in making money.