Danaher

www.danaher.com
  www.danaher.com
There are newer employer reviews for Danaher

Very Positive, great growth if you do a good job and manage others well; best team wins

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

Stock out performs most all other companies in sector, best example of lean Mfg outside or Toyota (I actually think we do it better since we are not making simple cars!)

Cons

Step up to the plate, be able to embrace constant change and recreating standard work, people looking for a "comfortable, lay low" job dont belong here. Strong culture, on the bus, or get off.

Keep up the good work, I think we are getting too heavy into medical since 2006 though, lets diversify.

138 Other Employee Reviews for Danaher (View Most Recent)

Tighten the Screws

I worked at Danaher

Pros

The best reason I can think of after months of reflection is that it looks favorable on a resume.

Cons

The management team drives by fear for ones job. There is little teamwork as everyone is fearful of the gentle nudge in front of the bus. Regardless of how the company has performed, there will be layoffs each year. I knew I was in trouble when on my second day of work, the admin assistant "joked" with me about her surprise to see me show up. The stress level is high and only ratchets up and the expectation of your time ( ie. your commitment to the company) is brutal if you have a family - even away from the office you were expected to respond to your blackberry. If you didn't come from a few select MBA programs, you likely were not considered upwardly mobile or a hi-pot.

There really is none because the culture is too engrained for there to be any expectation that advice would be listened to. I am sure there are sympathetic managers but they are too busy positioning themselves to worry about those who they rely on.

Concentration Camp

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

Can offer above-market comp for managers, if negotiated skillfully and you're bringing in clients and/or technical experts.

Valuable tip: forget targeting long-term comp that vests over multi-year period. Go for max comp in the short-term, even if leaving sizable amount of long-term money on the table - you won't want to stick around to cash in. Had I done this I would have planned to leave even sooner.

Cons

The abrasive term in the headline is almost never referred to an employer out of respect for those who've truly suffered, but I've heard it used so many times on Danaher from employees throughout that it became a default way to describe the company.

The reviewer from 10/12/2011 hit the nail on the head. Managers make false promises of hope to employees and rules with fear. As managers we're trained to exaggerate these elements to milk every last ounce of energy from employees without paying for it. Title "raises" are common way to evade pay rewards. When managers have an issue with a direct report, even if trivial, they'll likely go on a witch hunt and build their case against that employee (e.g. 15min late twice becomes "perpetual tardiness" and unable to finish an arduous assignment given only a day prior becomes "unwilling and unable to perform essential responsibilities") so that HR can take over and apply the coup de grace. Mind you, this applies to managers as well, so your living motto becomes "to kill or be killed."

These are some elements that really turned my stomach, and made me rethink who I want to be in an environment where I am required to spend most of my waking hours. I have come to the realization that this isn't normal or temporary, and that it's something that I'll eventually look back on with profound regret. The reviews here have inspired me to come forward, as their examples are striking in their accuracy and resonance, considering how many Danaher companies there are throughout the world.

There are newer employer reviews for Danaher