There are newer employer reviews for Darden

It's unwise to WORK for any Restaurant that advertises "Unlimited" food. Especially for 2.13hr!

Former Employee - Server
Former Employee - Server

I worked at Darden part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent food. Many fun co-workers. Accomodating Shifts. Most of the Management team is good to work for. 2.13/hr plus tips usually works out to be better than minimum wage (average $10-12).

Employees get 50% off on meals.

Cons

Darden advertises unlimited breadsticks, salad, yearly unlimited pasta bowl or unlimted Shrimp and Lobster. Restaurants that do this attract an element of society that typically expect something for nothing. That element also tips "nothing" or very little. And it's a package deal! That same element is combined with unsightly mannerisms, behaviors and often includes a corpulent physique barely able to fit into a booth. "Unlimited" means servers RUN their derriere's off for little or no tip - all the while enduring unpleasant demands of podgy, ill mannered masticators, speaking with partially chewed meals in their mouths, all while looking for any all means to maintain or increase their current girth for the smallest amount of money possible.

Some of the management treats servers like children. Although granted some servers behave like children. However, management speaking to employees condescendingly should be considered a form of harrassment.

Many lazy co-workers make it difficult for everyone. 20% of the employees do 80% much of the work. (occurs at All restaurants)

Employees pay for their own uniforms at 2.13/hour:-(
Employee's buy their own pens (and have them stolen by customers) for 2.13/hour:-(
Employee's pay for their own shoes at $70.00 and up for good ones:-(
No sick pay (so employees must come to work sick or not earn $:-(
No vacation pay unless over 30 hours weekly:-(

If a customer walks out without paying, the employee must pay OR be written up as a FINAL WARNING.

If an employee sets down their order book and it gets lost, the employee gets fired.

The insurance offered by Darden is TERRIBLE! 70% of restaurant workforce drinks, drinks heavily, does drugs or both and Darden does not offer any kind of psychiactric evaluation or intervention with their self-funded insurance....go figure!

Employees want to know how Darden got voted in the top100 places to work? We apparently didn't get asked to vote!

Treat your employees with respect!

Work a way to help pay for uniforms, shoes and pens that are required to do the job.

Stop the all-you-can-eat madness for everyone's sake. It isn't good for people, it isn't good for your employees (all of them). It only attracts people who cannot control their appetites. It's no different than offering free gamling to people who are addicted, or drugs to people who are addicted. JUST STOP IT!
All you can eat offers are poor quality dishes anyhow!!

Offer $ rewards for employees who go above and beyond. Or, who do extra cleaning. Give your employees incentive of some kind! Make them want to do things for the company.

Your employees need decent break-rooms.
Figure out a way to give an employee who has served 4 hours consistently, a 10 minute break without beating up the rest of the service crew to give it to them. Your employees would perform better!

Buy pens for your servers. Help with the cost of their uniforms and shoes.

736 Other Employee Reviews for Darden (View Most Recent)

Rigor morrow. It was a job, and nothing more.

I worked at Darden

Pros

Well, as I understand, there's a great deal of promotion possible at Darden. I've heard of many people starting as bartenders and ending up as managers.

Cons

I was treated as an underling by people who weren't very smart. One of my bosses flaunted how she had a degree from Georgia Southern...I got in to Fordham. If you're smart, you'll either kiss and and climb the ladder quickly or work there till you get somewhere better.

Don't stick to dogmatically to the status quo of the company. Manage your store within the context of your store. The head guy and one other manager did fine at this, but the rest were complete jackasses.

alright job to start with but it's a dead end job with no pay raises

Current Employee - Every Position At Longhorn
    Current Employee - Every Position At Longhorn

I have been working at Darden

Pros

only thing good is that they give ya time off when ya need it and the scheduling is extremely flexible.

Cons

I work for longhorn under darden and I have been with the place for 3 years and have received a 5-star performance review, I have still not seen a dime of compensation for the time i have been there or for my performance. I asked my manager and he said he can give me more hours if i need money, then he also said he can switch me to another job position which I still receive starting pay and it ends up being around the exact same compared to if I was making lower hourly + tips. That's management constantly going through loopholes and being cheap. Although without any type of compensation for what I have worked crazy for, why should I work hard? Why dont I take my time and still get paid the same compared to if I worked hard at the place? I will still always get paid the same. Darden calls themselves one of the top 100 companies to work for when pay raises arn't given out?

Reward your employees!!!!, ensure that managers arn't following theory x of management

There are newer employer reviews for Darden

Worked for Darden? Contribute to the Community!