There are newer employer reviews for Darden

Excellent training, if hard work scares you move on

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager
Former Employee - Restaurant Manager

I worked at Darden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, wonderful culture. Solid restaurant concept, industry leading procedures. Notoriety as one the 100 top companies to work, Fortune 400 company.

Cons

They are streamlining the Ops side of things with technology and overwritten procedure to the point that human talent and input has been removed from the equation. They are building themselves to a future of mediocre staff members in the name of reducing labor costs . From the DO's down to the Hosts at the front door, Longhorn Steakhouse specifically is heading down a path of encouraging a culture built on the bare minimum. Those with a desire for a personal best, seek elsewhere.

Advice to Management

There was a reason Longhorn Steakhouse was a successful unique brand when Darden chose to purchase it, for those at an Ops level, it is clear as glass that you are breaking down the fundamentals of what made it so great. Go back to the basics!

Other Employee Reviews for Darden

1. Darden is a great company, and you must be patient being a new employee.

Current Employee - Food Server
    Current Employee - Food Server

I have been working at Darden part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate environment and your job is protected as long as you do your job, show up on time, and follow the rules. They do not discriminate against age, gender, or your race. I'm a 50 plus individual and other restaurants prefer younger people. I have a wealth of experience to share and I can still explore many possibilities within the company. When you have a great team, and get rid of the nonsense employees the sky is the limit!!!! I've seen it at my OG.

Cons

Your team is only as strong as your weakest link. Some of the team members are not proactive and do not always make the best of their job. You only have 3 tables as a server and it is difficult to earn a living being a lunch server.

Advice to Management

Offer your day servers a higher min. wage. You probably would have less turnover and you would save money on training which costs the company so much. Your training is wonderful. Ask your new employees 2 or 3 months into the job what was missing from the training, so you could always improve training. I could think of many things in this area now that I did not learn from day 1. Always have a bread person. I can think of so many times during lunch or late dinner when I had to make bread, get salad, get glassware, and silverware before I could serve my guest..

2. since ive worked for darden ive had nothing but great experiences and excellent experience in all areas of the workplace

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Darden part-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly comforting warm great food great service

Cons

leaky roof. poor wheel chair acces

Advice to Management

need more experienced people