Darden

www.darden.com

Just another corporation

Server (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThey do offer some benefits to non-salaried employees, which is hard to find for part time employment these days. They offer day 1 medical, dental, and vision coverage--though the coverage is expensive and it is not great; a 401k option (though it's not widely advertised) and short term disability coverage ( though if you get pregnant before you sign up for this, you will be denied maternity leave) . They also give all employees stock options, which is a great thing because they focus a lot in making sure their company is profitable. When I started with darden the stock price was somewhere around 35$ a share and now it hovers in the low 50's. This increase has been consistent throughout the stock market troubles in the later part of the last decade.

The hours for non-management employees are not bad for the pay. Serving, bussing, or bar tending are about the only occupations where you can work part time and still average around 13$ hourly.

Non management employees can leave work at work.

ConsDarden has been cutting employee perks for a long time. Everyone used to get paid vacation upon completion of your first year. They first cut it so that only those who worked a certain number of hours on average would get vacation pay, then they eliminated it all together. This year there is no company picnic--company wide. For darden it's all about the stockholders. They have come to believe that their employees are expendable in the last few years of economic downturn. Most of their employees are underpaid and over educated. There are at least 5 servers with bachelor's degrees in my restaurant--none of which are being trained for further advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing your hourly employees again before you lose them to better jobs as the market improves.

Customer service is Darden's highest priority sometimes that means you feel like the company's lowest priority.

Server (Current Employee) Roseville, CA

I have been working at Darden part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: They have flexible scheduling and they tend to hire people that are knowledgable, team-players that are great to work with. At my place of employment… Cons: As a server you will be talked down to if up-selling doesn't meet their goals or you don't have enough customer satisfaction surveys filled out… Advice to Senior Management: The type of survey Darden gives guests are known to the the most inaccurate because it is optional for all the guests to take the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

lets see if this changes anything

Server (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Darden part-time for more than a year

Pros: work with so enjoyable people good training program, good amount… Cons: way too many none sense rules, poor clientele tips, to many servers on when unnecessary. to many things need o be refilled for… Advice to Senior Management: make decisions more based on the intentions and heart of the employe rather than on one particular moment that doesn't… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Darden.

Worked for Darden? Contribute to the Community!