Darden

www.darden.com
There are newer employer reviews for Darden

Growing company, very nice benefits

Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at Darden part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, able to transfer to other locations within the chain

Cons

No opportunities for advancement in company

821 Other Employee Reviews for Darden (View Most Recent)

Great people but corporate don't care about you

Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at Darden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, descent hours, met some of the most amazing people

Cons

They cut the bartenders and bussers hourly pay from let's say from $9 to $4.73. Their excuse was because we get tips they could legally get away with it. That is unfair to the people that were used to getting a check every week and tips to no check. That extra $200 a week would have been helpful during these hard times. Instead, they used that extra money they saved to buy more restaurants to monopolize.

Quit buying more restaurants by not taking care of your employees and take care of the ones that you have.

Coworkers become family, a LOT of work for ok tips.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Darden full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The reason I have stayed at OG for so long, is because of my coworkers. There are so many employees and they become some of your closest friends the longer you work there. I moved to a different state recently and it is so easy to transfer if you need to. This is the 3rd OG that I've worked at. If you get a good group of managers, it can be a really fun place to work. You also receive benefits for being part time, which is another reason I have stayed. Very flexible schedules and you can always give away or pick up shifts if you need to.

Cons

As a server, working for tips is very difficult. You can do everything perfectly, but still receive bad tips which becomes frustrating. The money you make is also limited b/c you are only allowed 3 table sections so you can provide a great experience for each guest rather than turn tables. There are specific steps you have to do at each table and sometimes you are watched and written up if you don't do them. It's very hard to move up. You have to be besties with the right people and they do not take into account how long you have worked there or how well you do your job. It's impossible to take vacations or be sick unless you can afford it. Most people can't b/c they live "paycheck to paycheck" in this field. I put that in quotes b/c you don't really get a paycheck since you live off tips, but you catch my drift. Even though you get benefits, they aren't amazing, but it's something. I rarely need to use them, but they are pretty helpful when I do. It's great as a second job for extra cash, not so great if it's your only job. Very hard on the body with all the lifting and running around. You have to provide your own uniform and can't have visible piercings, tattoos, or crazy hair colors. They demand an awful lot from servers and we also get blamed for most things that go wrong since we are the face of the restaurant. You rarely hear when you do a good job, but ALWAYS hear when you do bad. Never get free food, only discounts.

Don't play favorites so much. Divide restaurant tasks more fairly and evenly. Try praising more. Don't give out so much free food to customers and none to employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Darden