Darden

www.darden.com
  www.darden.com
There are newer employer reviews for Darden

It's great to be a manager, if yo don't have a family or value your personal time.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Darden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay/benefits, pretty decent staff

Cons

Long hours; GM was very unprofessional;, reviews are unfair and very one-sided; very discouraging getting paid less for more work; bonus plan is absolutely ridiculous and almost impossible to achieve, especially in smaller markets; wore me down

Stop making everyday fel like the world is coming to an end; hire more managers to work less hours because believe it or not, more an can down when the work is stretched out among more people; create a bonus structure that's fair and makes sense; give clearer paths in order to advance

792 Other Employee Reviews for Darden (View Most Recent)

It was....ok.

Former Employee - Hostess in Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Hostess in Rochester Hills, MI

I worked at Darden part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent starting pay. Hours aren't awful.

Cons

I wasn't scheduled for a whole month because the service manager "forgot" to schedule me after being an employee for a year. When I finally called to complain, the GM was told by the service manager that I already quit.
    Terrible management. Childish employees. Rude Customers. Hard to advance. Cliques.

Pay attention to your staff and don't yell at employees in front of customers.

Working for "the man"

Former Employee - Host
    Former Employee - Host

I worked at Darden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-decent hourly rate as a host
    -thorough training program
    -looks good on resume for other food service jobs
    -i liked the food, not gonna lie
    -decent opportunities for promotion if you do well, which isn't terribly difficult

Cons

-corporate expectations and rules are ridiculous. IE: your not allowed to have your cell phone on the property and are subject to punishment if it is seen, even if it is turned off. this to me seems like a major safety risk in the case of certain types of emergencies.
    -3 table max limit for servers = no money.
    -you get fired by accumulating warnings for simple rule violations like forgetting to bring a tie or being 5 minutes late, yet you cannot be fired for being stupid or being horrible at your job. thusly, stupid under-performing employees accumulate while the good ones come and go on to better jobs quickly.
    -same applies to the managers. a sexist, condescending, and generally insulting GM with a bad attitude towards his employees worked there for years despite numerous complaints to corporate darden from the hourly employees while a good natured GM who inspired his employees to perform well on their job was let go because he didn't always stick to rigid corporate standards within the restaurant.
    -practicality and common sense is constantly tossed aside for the sake of doing things by the book
    -these characteristics are probably typical for many corporate owned restaurant chains but I challenge you to find them worse elsewhere than darden.

find a way to improve the connection and feedback between corporate level darden and their frontline employees

There are newer employer reviews for Darden