Darden

www.darden.com

Olive Garden Lost Sight of Who Makes Them A Success

Former Employee - Bartender/Server  in  Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Bartender/Server in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Great coworkers, friendly guests, nice atmosphere.

Cons

Olive Garden treats their employees as if it were their first day on the job. Management is inconsistent and shows favoritism. 10 year+employee and I saw it all. Was good for many years but 2 years ago started spiraling down. Management never stands behind their employees. People with bad behavior/work issues were rewarded while those who were not were left by the wayside or smart enough to get out. Olive Garden is in the business of giving away everything for free should a guest complain. They can do this because they pay their employees a substandard wage. Granted most front of the house people make tips, not all do, and those that do are often "stiffed" yet must still pay taxes on unearned income. I could write a thesis on Olive Garden's shortcomings but I can spend my time in a more productive endeavor.

You can begin by telling your employees "thank you" for a job well done, rather than harassing them during TIP(talk into position) over issues like guest counts or matters that are out of our hands entirely. Stand behind your employees and make them want to come to work. We're on the front lines and the guests see us first. If we've already been beaten down before we get our first table or before the doors are open, it will reflect in the guests experience. Pay your employees what they're worth. Two or so years ago Olive Garden cut the pay of bartenders and bussers from their previous wages to $5.00 per hour. This was the beginning of the end for Olive Garden. You get what you pay for. After the cut in wages I saw the decline in morale escalate exponentially. While management and corporate continued to receive their usual income the people who make it all possible continue to struggle and then hourly employees had their hours cut to save on labor costs. Stop hiring new employees when those who work there can't even get enough hours to make ends meet. Doing so would help you with your high turnover rate.