Data Recognition Corporation

great temporary work environment

Current Employee - Scorer in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Scorer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

Well defined tasks, ease of work, pleasant environment

Cons

temporary work, no flexibility in schedule, work is monotonous

69 Other Employee Reviews for Data Recognition Corporation (View Most Recent)

DRC is a "I earned my B.A. and now I just need to earn money while looking for a permanent job" type of place.

Former Employee - Reader in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Reader in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

Predictable hours w/set breaks (two 15 minutes, plus 1/2 hour for lunch)
    Upfront about salary ($11.50/hour)
    Near a pond/walking path
    Free parking
    Free coffee/tea

Cons

It is what it is: a temp job that goes project to project.
    Keep in mind that you will be sitting in front of a computer for 7+ hours with a room full of people (like being on an airplane) and not all the rooms have windows. It got to me- so I feel like I should at least warn others!
    Also, no headphones are allowed. (I'm one who needs to "filter" my environment to focus, so this was tough for me)
    Six is the metric for tardy/leaving early/sick days. Your manager keeps track and this information goes in your file (read: eligibility for re-hire/invited back for projects) Stuff happens, but just keep "six" in mind.

**Bring a non-electronic entertainment device (book/magazine/crossword) with you everyday. During training, there will be a lot of gaps, you'll need something to keep you quiet and pass the time.

Again, it is what it is.

Not a career but a stopgap between jobs

Current Employee - Reader in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Reader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

Clean and for the most part comfortable environment. You can dress how you want (within) reason, free coffee, tea and hot chocolate, always given breaks and lunches and can leave when you were originally told you could leave. You can work with many interesting, friendly people and make good connections. Occasionally the work can be interesting. Some (but not all) of the supervisors are great. You will get paid when you are told you are supposed to get paid and within a reasonable time. Convenient parking. Workers can get up, stretch, and use the restroom pretty much whenever as long as they meet their quota.

Cons

Workers are pressured almost constantly to meet a quota. Instead of paying a flat wage, readers must work a minimum of 40 hours a week to get a bonus. This means that if employees miss work, they won't get the full amount. In addition, if they decide that they don't need employees to work a full 40 hours for a week, employees won't get the bonus. If an employee misses more than 3 days, they are off the project and it will negatively effect their chances of being rehired. Management won't tell you when the project is ending until the last minute, but it will always end several days before the date they tell you it is projected to end and they will finish out with the supervisors. People are chosen for supervisory positions for no apparent reason. Work can be monotonous and you can get repetitive strain injury. Of course there are no benefits.

Treat the readers with more respect. Avoid using jargon when training, especially with new readers. Give the employees more feedback on their job performance as it effects rehire and advancement opportunities. By improving readers' employment experiences, more experienced readers will return, thus helping the company meet it's quota quicker and thus make a larger profit.

There are newer employer reviews for Data Recognition Corporation