There are newer employer reviews for Data Systems International

Small midwest technology company that is making big difference in mobility

Current Employee - Software Development  in  Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Software Development in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Although I am a recent employee here with less than a year under my belt, I am not new to technology firms and have worked for Fortune 100 firms on down to little startups. Things are not perfect but the work is great and cutting edge. How many companies can you say your doing cutting edge fun work (mobility in the enterprise in our case) while having 34 years of business under their belts. Of all the companies I have been at I can truly say DSI has been one of the best.

DSI is growing and has a fantastic new office in the Power and Light district of Kansas City. Management has changed a bit and things are really going well in the Development group now. People come in and work hard for 8 hours. I haven't seen any crazy hours that were a sign of the past. Heck the management team has even planned a few fun events and this has been a real boon.

Benefits are wonderful. I can't disclose all of them here, but they are better than some of the top companies I have worked for in the past. Many changes just in the last 3 months that have made DSI top notch to work for.

If you love doing work on multiple mobile systems and ERP's you will love DSI for sure!

Cons

There are still a few things that could be improved of course. It would be nice if the office were less of a showcase and more of a comfortable place to work. The office is really high tech and beautiful but at times it feels like we are not really welcome in it due to a few policies around personal effects and plants. Still with such a new office I can understand the pride we all feel in this place.

The break rooms are there to be used and should be allowed to keep things on the counters. That is always a pain when you have to be hyper clean 24/7. Old office felt more homey in that regard.

Overall very minor gripes. Nothing like I have read in some of the other reviews of DSI. They don't even sound like the same place I work.

Relax about the personal space people work and let us personalize it some like at Google or other Silicone Valley companies. The office looks like a Silicone Valley tech company except for the personalization that is highly encouraged there. Let us do the same.

13 Other Employee Reviews for Data Systems International (View Most Recent)

Terrible company, leadership is awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Data Systems International

Pros

There are very few reasons to ever work at a DSI. The management team is the worst I have ever soon in my 22 years as a professional working in tech companies.

Cons

Not sure where to start. The zero match on the 401K ever is good. There is a private jet for executives only for personal and sometimes professional use. This is called "DSI Air 401K" by the common people in the company.

CEO is son of the founder. Silver spoon syndrome. Woefully inadequate to fill the role as a leader. In the 2.5 years I worked there I saw him come out of his office 2 times. Was only there 10% of the time.

Treat your employees with some respect. Kansas City is a small town and you have a really bad reputation in the technology community.

Culture of Paranoia and Micromanagement

I worked at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

It's a job. There's no other reason to work here other than a means to pay your bills.

Cons

Too much micromanagement
    Too much fear
    Too little recognition for your contribution
    Too many to list

The theme continues: In my experience in the tech industry, I've had the opportunity to work in 9 software companies. DSI is the worst experience, bar none. It's hard to offer any 'advice to management' when it would fall on deaf ears. It's time for 'the family' to cash out and let someone with real experience and a passion for people, customers, and product to take this business to the next level.

There are newer employer reviews for Data Systems International

Worked for Data Systems International? Contribute to the Community!