There are newer employer reviews for DataSphere Technologies

Terrible Management, Poor Pay, Stay Away!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Young staff (20's-30's) which makes for a more fun, youthful environment -Great music playing, keeps you motivated in a mundane, repetitive job -Cool, relaxed environment

Cons

There are quite a few of them.....where to begin? -Managers are not managers...they are salespeople who were promoted based on having high sales. Just because you can sell a product well doesn't mean you can effectively manage people. -There is a LOT of different radios and music playing and cheering can get incessant. It was fun at first, but it gets extremely obnoxious when you're trying to focus on a call. -Hung up on CONSTANTLY...lowers morale very quickly. -Expected to put in at least 100 calls a day, or 6 hours of "talk time" -The product is really crappy...it's advertising on the customers' local news station's website...down the page quite a bit, rotating with quite a few other businesses -Pay is VERY low...they tell you it's a salaried position, but it's not. You get paid about $14/hour after taxes, which in Seattle's cost of living is more like $9/hour. Most of my coworkers, even in their thirties, are living with roommates because they cannot afford to live based on the lack of salary. -You only receive commission if you hit your quota. You can be $1 away and not get a commission check! My personal story: I quit Datasphere because my husband was transferred jobs across the country. I was never paid my commission check (of about $1200) because I moved before working there 90 days. Supposedly it was spelled out in my employee handbook, but I could never see where it stated that. I would have hired a lawyer, but $1200 isn't worth it after considering legal fees! Very unfair...especially since it wasn't my decision to quit; my husband was getting transferred! There was really no choice on my part. I would have quit eventually though!) Also, my manager cussed at me and made me feel threatened quite often. The only time anything was ever done about it was when I went to HR. Even then it always felt awkward. I was glad to get out of there!

Advice to Management

If you're going to promote successful salespeople as managers, make sure that you train them on how to be effective managers. Just because you can sell doesn't mean you can manage others and train them well.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Young adult babysitting

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy product to sell since management pushes for misrepresentation. Decent for a first job.

Cons

Horrible product that doesn't work for any clients. Poor customer retention. Totally unprofessional work environment. Extremely low base salary with decent commission structure as comparable to the salary. Micro managing to the point where it's almost like a young adult daycare. Clueless upper management on tech side.

Advice to Management

Fix the "targeting" on your product and deliver something close to what your sales force pushes. It's a good idea with no follow through.

No money here....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, relaxed atmosphere, ping pong tables, kegs of beer, poker for prizes, etc

Cons

Base salary is low and the average cost of an ad to place is very low and the commission is not great so you make no money here. Required to make 40 calls a day. Extremely high turnover.

Advice to Management

Invest some time doing this job yourself so you see what your employees are going through and realize that you need to be able to provide results and pay your people more.