DataStax

www.datastax.com

Powerful technology

I have been working at DataStax full-time for less than a year

Pros

Technology is among the best in niche areas.

Cons

Lack of company culture + vision.

Value all employees.

Other Reviews for DataStax

Work with the best engineers on the best product for the next big market.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Austin, TX

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working at DataStax because every day I work on a world changing technology with people who are brilliant, motivated and professional. The company lives up to its core values of being honest, open, and respectful. This fosters an environment where people are friendly and helpful, problems are resolved in a timely fashion, and management is responsive and transparent.

Cons

It's 2014 and we're experiencing growing pains. We've grown 5 fold in 2 years, more than half of that in the last year. We get good people who pick up the ball and run, but that still leaves some room for confusion.

For example, the company has paid lip service to putting a non-management track in for engineering, but haven't put it in place. I feel comfortable saying I trust this will be resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

The target is still shifting as the company orients itself in the market. This is a matter of self-discovery. We're still a start-up company. However, the size of the company is making this self-discovery a little uncomfortable at times.

What's shared with the company internally about our focus is enlightening and helpful. We aren't where we want to be yet in terms of BHAG and company organization, but your continued efforts are moving us in that direction. More of the same.

Disillusioned SMB Sales

I have been working at DataStax

Pros

DataStax, built on Apache Cassandra, is reliable. Product aligns well with large enterprise corporations who have policy/governance around use of non-open sources platforms. Strong focus on customer advocacy.

Cons

Primary core value is to grow open source community awareness of Apache Cassandra, with revenue secondary to DataStax. IP is freely given without strings, and cannibalizes the ability for DataStax SMB sales to grow. Overall, with numerous trainings and step-up freely given on DataStax and Apache Cassandra, this causes the devaluing of DataStax enterprise platform, to the SMB Market. SMB sales in solely driven without marketing or lead generation support. SMB sales teams are required to "cold-call" into non-open source fluent customer base. This leads to scarce sales opportunities with elongated sales cycles, once qualified. The SMB sales team is responsible for evangelizing DataStax / Apache Cassandra, lead generations, sales, and customer advocacy. Being spread this thin makes selling difficult, and quotas almost impossible to achieve. If you are not working a mature, NoSQL territory, the ability to attain your quota is extremely difficult. Management is disillusioned by Enterprise Sales believing Apache Cassandra will match within the SMB market. SMB IT has notoriously bore the pain over Enterprise IT regarding smaller budgets. It’s foolish to believe shifting off a core database platform, in the relational space, will be adopted widely at the SMB level at/or before Enterprise.

Look at changing Freemium model and evaluate when to cut the umbilical cord.
    If the top priority is evangelizing Apache Cassandra and DataStax then a compensation plan aligned to that model would be better suited. The high turnover rests solely on Management to change. If managements short sided agenda does not change then SMB sales retention will continue plummet.

There are newer employer reviews for DataStax.

Worked for DataStax? Contribute to the Community!