Downward spiral for potential IPO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Game-changing product that is changing the world we live in! Great benefits; free gym, free lunch, healthy snacks and awesome break room. We have a pool table and ping table! I'm crossing my fingers for the Olympic size pool...

Cons

Very hostile work environment from a sales/marketing perspective, poor pay (who meets their quota??), executive team doesn't care about the little people. The sales team is driving most events and demand generation- this makes us angry!! Give us some darn leads and helps us get the word out! Quotas are unachievable- not sure about the logic here... Many other NoSQL alternatives are poaching employees bc they know we are unhappy, and it's working since culture/pay/executive teams are solid at Mongo or Couchbase. PEOPLE ARE SCARED TO GO TO MANAGEMENT AND VOICE THEIR OPINIONS! and when they do, they get shot down.

Advice to Management

If people are unhappy and feel that this is hostile; find a way to change things! anonymous poll, meetings with employees... Billy, Matt, Jonathan, this is your baby! Don't let it die.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The moment I walked through the door I knew DataStax was going to be an amazing experience!

Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First,and foremost the people here all come from various industry backgrounds making it an awesome melting pot for creativity, innovation and open-mindedness. Second, would be the culture. Last, but not least would be the tremendous market potential and potential career growth within the company.

Cons

It is startup....so you need to act fast. You need to be able to figure most of it out on your own!

Advice to Management

I understand that the company is still in a startup mode, however a structured training plan would help new hires.

High Turnover on Sales Talent... BAD BAD PAY

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SOLID product. C* will go places and eventually someone like an Oracle or an SAP will pick 'em up.

Cons

Too much politics. Management pits employees against one another and lead by fear-mongering tactics. Management is not transparent. Marketing is non-existent to supplement sales success and is only focused on growing the community. Sales drives marketing events like meetups and deviate away from sales activities. This is the first time in 17 years where sales worked for marketing success and not the other way around. Marketing is NEVER in the office. Hopefully their new CMO can whip them back up to shape. HIGH TURNOVER in the sales organization. 8 reps left the company within the past 4 months. Beware. BAD BAD PAY.

Advice to Management

Want sales to sell more? Invest in marketing to make them successful.Stop pitting employees against one another and stop playing favorites. Fear-mongering defamation will lead to your downfall.

DataStax Response

Apr 11, 2014 – CEO

I hope that we can help you have a more positive experience. We are definitely investing in marketing beyond the community, though the community is and will remain very important as we are an ... More