DataStax

www.datastax.com
There are newer employer reviews for DataStax

The best company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very smart engineers, visionary management, flexible work hours. Open-source friendly culture.
Awesome technology, everyday is something new and interesting. I'm constantly learning new stuff. Ability to work from remote and no feeling that I'm left out of sth.

Cons

Things are moving very fast. Sometimes too many things to do at once. If you're not a fast-learner and don't want to work hard, this is not a place for you.

Make sure we retain the awesome culture while growing into a big company.

50 Other Employee Reviews for DataStax (View Most Recent)

Poor Sales Culture

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Great technology and really smart people to work with. Solutions are great for the enterprise level Fortune 500 type customers. Really great support team that has a strong focus on helping their customers.

Cons

Sales culture is turning into an "Oracle" type of atmosphere and boiler room environment where sales management is pitting the sales team against each other. Sales team is not set up for success and have not been provided any type of lead generation help for years. Sales management seems to think that goals are going to be achieved with a 100% outbound model. Very small percentage of sales team is actually making their quotas and the ones that are. Are the new reps on ramped quota and were provided territories with existing opportunities from previous reps. Management has no accountability and finger points the issues to the individual reps without taking any responsibility for why they may be under performing. CEO doesn't seem to like sales people. Lots of turnover within the sales organization.

Management needs to get a clue and set up the sales team for success and not have unrealistic expectations with a 100% outbound model. Support the team and not just the new reps coming on board. Ask yourselves why so many talented sales people left the company....

Good Product. Terrible Sales Plan. Terrible Management.

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Good solution for the Fortune 500 type company.
    - Good coworkers
    - Pretty much everyone in sales isn't earning money, so at least I'm not alone.

Cons

The ability to earn even close to the on-track earnings promised is a complete joke. The role that was sold to me as was for a consultative sales position, but unfortunately the quantitative call metrics and lead development requirements prove that was just lip service. The marketing is non-existent, the quotas are almost mathematically unachievable, and the boiler room management style of the sales leadership is laughable.

The biggest joke of all, however, is the go to market strategy. Datastax is going after the Cassandra Community, a group that expects everything for free so essentially who we end up selling against is the free version of our product.

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." -Winston Churchill

There are newer employer reviews for DataStax