Dave & Buster's

www.daveandbusters.com
  www.daveandbusters.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dave & Buster's

Most fun at a job until new "regime" took over

Current Employee - Bartender in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Bartender in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dave & Buster's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Make great money and made many friends

Cons

New "regime", location, unmotivated managers

143 Other Employee Reviews for Dave & Buster's (View Most Recent)

Good management and fun people to work with.

Current Employee - Server in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Server in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun people to be around

Cons

Work some holidays, work mostly nights and weekends

Certified JC Bar tending Academy Bartender Certification and TABC Certification, Bar manager 1mo. for another company.

Current Employee - Bar Back in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Bar Back in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dave & Buster's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice set up for a bar, but the real wood feel from the previous location in Dallas set itself apart from the other chains like Gatti Town in Frisco, Strikers, etc.

Cons

I had to go and ask for an interview. Then came back several times to introduce myself to the bar manager. Then had to set up a time to be interviewed by the bar manager. Instead it was a man in a suit who pretty much didn't care that I had credentials in bar tending period, as the same for the Manager at Frisco. I applied twice with him. He responded to my first application and didn't respond to my 2nd. Both said I lacked experience. With both I asked for internship, work for free to get experience. The 1st one said it was illegal. I thought it was called interning. Mind you the 1st one had majorly loose carpet, I offered to trim. He said no and walked away from it. Guess their willing to over look safety but, require I have experience with my credentials? As I asked the 2nd one how can I get experience if you won't let me have it? Anyways, both I assume had no bar experience to decide my fate as a bartender or bar back. Instead they'd rather have a person who worked as a server and only poured wine and opened an occasional beer for customers, as experience for however long they worked there as a server, no mixing experience. Me, I worked my tail off learning to mix drinks in a hurry, entertain the customers, and get them to trust me. Even when I said i can boost their sales by 1% and explained how, I was told by the second guy that they already had people paid to promote for them. They don't need employees promoting for them. Huh? I thought my job was to get more money to line your pockets? So to all the D&B workers who are over worked, and overwhelmed, I AM SORRY. I've tried being part of the team. It's the suits who know nothing about how demanding, and energy it takes to do your work, decide if you get more help or not. The positions are still open, many wanted me to work there. I'm sorry I couldn't help as I liked. I've lost my spark for D&B because of this. Again, I'm sorry.

Go to bar tending school, chef school to learn the ropes of each specific job there is. Or have each Manager trained from a school to insure high quality experience for customers and workers alike. AS I told the 1st bar manager. I said that JC Bar-tending Academy says many skilled restaurants call them for new bar tenders. New bar tenders are like a fresh canvas that can be trained easily. Older bar tenders are stuck in their train of thought. Not likely to change and adapt. I said if you want a professorially trained experienced bar tender,If it's not me call JC Bar tending Academy. They'll help you get the sales you need. I saw later when doing the 2nd interview in Dallas. The high turn over rate and lack of skilled people isn't because there weren't enough potential applicants for the job. It's the suits that don't know how other jobs need to run. And they don't mind over working and exhausting their employees. I think D&B needs to hang the suit out to dry and have each manager in their division decide the fate of people who worked so hard to achieve those specific goals. Only a true manager in their specialty field would know how to keep customers entertained, happy, paying more (for service) and having a team to work together and strive to master that goal. For the customer.

There are newer employer reviews for Dave & Buster's