A firm with a great reputation full of smart and talented people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine

Pros

DWT is one of the few large law firms where it is possible to maintain work life balance. If salary is the most important factor, you can probably get a higher salary somewhere else. However, DWT's billable hour requirements are slightly lower than other firms, so you might actually get home at night in time to see your family. There are good opportunities to work on interesting deals, and this firm is full of smart, talented, and interesting people with diverse backgrounds and interests. They also encourage pro bono participation by giving billable hour credit. A large number of attorneys and staff are active in community projects, fundraising for non-profits, and pro bono legal projects.

Cons

Attorneys are not good managers here or in any other law firm where I have worked. For example, some associates receive a lot of good mentor ship, some do not, and no one really takes any responsibility for this. Despite its size and efforts to "Define Success Together," it sill has the feeling of a firm full of sole practitioners each doing their own thing. Also, they have been slow to keep up with technology. They need to invest more in this infrastructure to stay competitive.

Other Reviews for Davis Wright Tremaine

Comfortable, predictable, stable, stagnant.

Current Employee - Accounting/Finance  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine

Pros

Excellent benefits and very secure job position. Attractive vacation and sabatical packages.

Cons

Very little room for career advancement, new challenges, or significant pay increases.

There really is no cohesiveness to the law firm. There are the partners, then the secretaries, and separate from all of that is the General & Administrative group, the people who keep the place running. "Service Together" has no meaning to us and seems rather trite when it doesn't seem there is much "togetherness" in the firm in the first place. Now give us merit raises when a job is well done and maybe then there will be some "service together." Unfortunately, the firm is placing a lesser importance on raises of any sort for the time being. As such, I find myself placing a lesser value on "service together."

Attorney at Media firms

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Davis Wright Tremaine

Pros

Best thing about the law firm is the exposure to interesting issues that aren't necessarily available to junior associates at the bigger white shoe firms.

Cons

The worse thing about the law firm is that it is still a firm. The hours are difficult and the scheduling near impossible sometimes.

A better line of communication with staff and associates. We often recommend this, though it so rarely happens. It seems like this shouldn't be such a hard bridge to gap

There are newer employer reviews for Davis Wright Tremaine.

Worked for Davis Wright Tremaine? Contribute to the Community!