DeNA

www.denajobs.com
  www.denajobs.com
There are newer employer reviews for DeNA

#1 Mobile Company!?? No way this place will keep top performers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, Fully stocked snacks, Good Health Plan, Free food

Cons

Low salaries, chaotic teams, inexperienced leadership, bad infrastructure, HR

Listen, this is going to be a long one. I hate to say this since I'm still here, and I know some of the things I'm suggesting will sting the people who really need the job, and to that I would say come work here if you are just looking for a paycheck but if you want to make a real impact and work with superstars stay far, far away!! Those days are over!!!

Someone said the older employees are here to vest stock options, in my case they might be right and it's also because of the friends I've made over the years who still work here. We still have some good gems and I will say the people is what makes coming here tolerable but that doesn't make me want to brag about crap, rushed, products, that we spend a great deal of man hours putting out fires on. Why? Because it's mediocre unstable garbage.
All we seem to care about is how quickly we rush a product to market and we keep making the same mistakes over and over again. So while some of the people are one of the best parts of this company it only makes me comfortable enough until I'm completely over the way this place is run like everyone else is! Wake up, S.F!
I have to be completely honest, and let prospective employees know this is not a stable environment if that is what you are looking for, if you are looking for a GAME company this is not it, games and players take the back seat to the pursuit of revenue.

A few people came back from Holiday to turn in their two weeks notice, there's been some pretty quiet layoffs here and there too over the last couple months. We've got people who were with the company since pre-acquisition taking "time away" and never coming back.
Every week people are leaving.

The interview process is a joke at best. We're given the idea that we as a team interview top candidates and if one of us says no they won't be working here, I don't know when that policy changed, (policies change on a whim here) because more and more people are joining our game teams that we never met or knew anything about but have to work with.
Now we have a lot of new hires who are very inexperienced and haven't the foggiest what they're doing and we're also absorbing people from other teams and putting them in jobs they never did before (this isn't a startup!)
We're already stretched so thin developing new features and pumping out weekly content, and then have to find time to train up people with absolutely no experience that we never had a say in bringing on board. It's taking a huge toll and frankly looks like the hiring managers just don't care and are desperate.

I don't even know why or how the San Francisco Studio still exists, it's expensive to run and we don't make hit games, or know how to make anything that isn't a direct copy of some Japanese counterpart it seems.
We have games like Marvel which is a Western I.P made by a Japanese studio in the top grossing for months,even they outclassed us on every level.
Do we really need a San Francisco based studio to basically clone Japanese hits since we can't make hits on our own? And to add fuel to the fire the clones we make aren't even hits either!!
Japan can make the games faster and more efficiently than the U.S studios at a fraction of the cost, and they're more likely to be gamers themselves, we have a lot of red tape here and a different work ethic! What were they thinking?? How is this strategy?

My advice, is first what H.Q really needs to do is pull out of S.F, and return their focus to the Japanese market because there is still opportunity there for growth, they've long lost their footing in Japan they're being outdone by newcomers no one ever heard about, they can't hope to conquer the West if they can't even dominate their own home turf anymore.

Second, start over with small agile teams. Stop dragging around a big studio that is hemorrhaging employees and money every single quarter, it's dead weight!!
We have a ton of producers and managers with SF who "always wanted to make a cool game" but they don't know how to make games! They're completely inexperienced, experimentation is o.k when you're talking about a few thousand dollars but not when a studio is taking millions to maintain! It's no wonder partners are pulling out and wondering why they should even work with us. The shareholders must be completely naive or infinitely optimistic!
Studios in Chile and Canada are cheaper to run, keep Chile especially around they have games there still making a good revenue contribution mostly transferred from other studios and if possible transfer S.F employees who are top contributors to Japan and Chile, shut down the S.F studio or keep it only for administration. We already outsource everything, so again, why do we need this studio to be building games??

I think the new Dena West CEO as a finance guy who knows nothing about games is an even worse sign, if they really cared about being pro hit games they would have brought in someone who knew about them. It's more than seedy that we didn't even have an interim CEO when the last one decided to leave for a direct competitor, obviously even he was fed up, he was one of the last remnants of the original studio, we all know one of the major reasons he was appointed in the first place was to stop pre-acquisition employees from dropping off like flies. I wish this place would just stop the politics and be up front and transparent like they claim we should be, don't talk about being a company of entrepreneurs but patronize us like we're clueless children.

If there's anything SF studio in particular is renowned for it's not knowing when to put a product out of it's misery.
The SF studio has an unproven track record since acquisition, it's a failed "experiment", it's bleeding and it's time to put it down!

40 Other Employee Reviews for DeNA (View Most Recent)

Not great, just ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DeNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- People are generally nice
    - Catered meals
    - Great location
    - The current games are doing pretty well in the charts

Cons

- Lack of strategy and transparency! Ever since the new CEO has taken over, there has only been 1 all-hands. Management is essentially hoping that the new games are successful, but not explaining the steps we need to take to reach success.
    - Terrible morale because a lot of the veteran employees are leaving
    - Limited growth opportunities... but because of the high employee turnover, you will be promoted to a senior position eventually
    - A lot of technical debt in games and platform
    - HR needs to post fake reviews to attract new hires
    - Despite what they say, culture is not flat. New ideas often go nowhere.
    - Occasionally, you will run into politics/ego problems with people who won't compromise or aren't willing to listen to another point of view. Too bad that a few bad apples can spoil the bunch.
    - No clear direction on the future of the company

- In general, this company is not great due to poor leadership and vision, but it's not a terrible work environment either if you want to just get by or get your foot in the industry.

Motivate your employees by explaining to us the long-range plan. Another re-org might be necessary. Who's in charge??? You need to talk to us!

Good environment, talented people.

I have been working at DeNA

Pros

Work with global people, esp. in Asia. Different games, full responsibility of one game. Not only think on engineering but also designing, user experience.

Cons

Hard working makes people busy and tired. The company does not get steady of finding it's position of west game industry.

There are newer employer reviews for DeNA