DeVry Education Group

Sales, Sales, Sales

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor
Current Employee - Admissions Advisor

I have been working at DeVry Education Group

Pros

-Solid Company
-Professional
-Great employees to work with

Cons

-Pressure Cooker/ numbers based***use to fire if quotas weren't met...Recently changed due to new federal laws
-Lack of transparency from upper management
-Late nights and every other weekend required, so no work/home life balance
-Advancement is mostly based on who you know, and likability
-Disconnect between middle and upper management-seemingly purposefully to keep upper in the dark
-Not many opportunities or options for advancement, so because of this you feel "stuck"
-Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive
-Your told you leads are warm, however it's basically cold calling, seeing that most don't remember asking for information. Or maybe wanted mailed info vs. a call

-Offer more transparency
-Management stop gossiping about your advisors and using them for info on others
-Stop the popularity contests and promote based on merit

137 Other Employee Reviews for DeVry Education Group (View Most Recent)

"TEACH" values are on paper only

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

* Free Education at DeVry and/or Keller
    * Life / Work Balance
    * Good Location for suburbanites
    * OK Benefits

Cons

* Power struggles between departments and personal agendas drove direction more so than what was best for the students or the company. Leadership did nothing to put a stop to the in-fighting, so the people in the trenches were having to work in this this disfunctional manner on a daily basis.
    * None of the so-called TEACH values were exhibited by the people I worked with. Teamwork was horrible, lots of back-stabbing, finger-pointing and passive aggressive behaviors.
    * There was absolutely no accountability, and as a manager who tried to incorporate accountability measures, I ended up losing. People who made severe mistakes and didn't deliver were shifted around and rewarded while those of us who were open and honest were punished.
    * Lots of lip service paid to wanting to be an employer of choice and be on the forefront of technology, but leadership did very little to move DeVry in that direction.
    * Misled about the direction I was headed career-wise. I was given a stellar review (including mention of potential promotion) and a great bonus, then 3 months later, was let go without any explanation. My supervisor never had any interim discussions with me about performance concerns. When I asked during the exit interview why I was being let go, the only thing HR would say is that it was an employee-at-will state.

Set clearly defined goals
    Don't let unhealthy relationships between departments go on for years without intervening
    The TEACH values are good ones, but unfortunately, are only on paper

Mandatory overtime is required and you're not paid for it since you're on salary

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

The benefits were pretty good and my co-workers were great.

Cons

Expected you to work 80-90 hour weeks consistently with no overtime pay since you are on salary. Mandatory overtime was put into place when big projects were going on, which was all of the time. If you asked for a day off, you were often told no.

There are newer employer reviews for DeVry Education Group