Unorganized

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Naperville, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group

Pros

Flexible with time off
Good Benefits

Cons

Huge lack of communication
Lack of serious career advancement
Laughable management practices
Quantity over quality
Department bias

Communication, communication, and communication

Other Reviews for DeVry Education Group

It was a job that paid my bills...

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

Had some really great co-workers.

Cons

Myself and my past co-workers literally celebrated the day they were fired or finally landed a new job with another company. We all came from the Online division as admissions advisors. It’s the type of sales job you would get as your 1st sales job out of college. You soon find out just how conniving their recruitment practices are and what you have to do in order to “make a sale” rather than honestly, and truthfully recruit a prospective student into a good school with a solid education.

The way the hierarchy works around there is based on numbers, not experience. If you meet and/or exceed your numbers consistently, you’ll be moved up the sales scale whether or not you even deserve or have the experience and know-how to be a manager. Which means, management is downright horrible because they have no idea what they’re doing. The only thing they know to do is micro-manage you and hound you over and over again about numbers and do everything they can do to get their team to meet their goal so they don’t get yelled at in management meetings. Overtime is not an option. It’s a demand and you’re not paid overtime for it as you’re a salary paid employee. If you don’t work on the weekends, you’re blacklisted and sent nasty emails from managers about how disappointed they are that you didn’t come in. It’s not a 40 hr work week, it’s more like 60-70. So again, it’s good for those fresh out of college as a first job, not at all for those who have a family as you will not be spending a whole lot of time with them.

Don’t ever think about or consider approaching your manager as a manager. Discussing any personal issues is just juicy gossip for them to spread. It’s also even difficult to go to HR and make a complaint and remain anonymous.

Believe me, I’m not a disgruntled employee. While I was there, just like any employee, I had my highs and lows. Pay wasn’t the worst, and benefits were pretty standard if not below. I just needed a job and found this to work for the time being. I started in one department, decided to give admissions a try and quickly saw what the company was about and decided it was time for me to prepare my departure. I did what I had to do to get by day to day, and due to poor sales #’s was let go (which is typically the reason for all those let go as Admissions has the highest turn-over as it is a sales job).

Once you start working for a new company after working here, your eyes are opened even more in realizing just how badly DeVry runs their management and business. Their practices are NOT normal. Every co-worker I’ve spoken to that has worked there, cannot believe how wonderful and amazing life is for them now that they’re not working there, and how they can’t believe they were sucked into believing that working at DeVry, is really how corporate American is…. When it’s not at all close to it. It’s a prison.

Rather that simply "promoting" advisors to ADA or DA based on their numbers, if you feel a particular person would make a good ADA or DA, put them through management and confidentiality training.

Also - do not rush the hiring process. Make sure one's background check clears and they are a safe employee to have in your workplace BEFORE offering them the job. Identify thieves and pedophiles are probably not suitable to work with such sensitive information.

Lots of Turnover

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at DeVry Education Group

Pros

the instructors they hire are among the best I have seen at "For-Profit" colleges.

Cons

Being a For-Profit institution weighs too heavily on the recruitment and admissions process.

Be more honest in your marketing to high school students.

There are newer employer reviews for DeVry Education Group.

Worked for DeVry Education Group? Contribute to the Community!