DeVry Education Group

There are newer employer reviews for DeVry Education Group

The dark years.

Former Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about myself and my goals, and I now know what kind of company culture I want a future with. However, I learned these through my difficult experiences at DeVry and not through it's nurturing treatment or positive development.

Cons

Far too many dissatisfied employees, they sabotage themselves and conspire to do their worst after only a few months on the job. The leaders are not setting the right example either. I actually had an HR rep who hired her family members without disclosing the relationship. Made evaluating or defending your evaluation of an employee much more difficult when their family member was also their HR rep.

Your Directors and Assistant Directors of Admissions managers are often too inexperienced and too poorly trained in how to develop employee talent. They are thrown right into the job of making numbers work, but never taught how to do so, and everyone seems surprised when a target is missed or if a team is completely dissatisfied. No manager should hit the floor without an intense management training that lasts a month. Also, you make it too hard for the real talent to ascend or stick around.

138 Other Employee Reviews for DeVry Education Group (View Most Recent)

DeVry Inc. is a for-profit business, devoted to quality experience based teaching.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DeVry Education Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

DeVry is aggressively focused on growth, even in the face of recession. They have high standards for their staff, professors, and administration. There is room to grow with the company, especially if one is open to relocation. DeVry is partnered with other learning institutions, offering Associate's, Bachelor's, and Master's degrees in fields ranging from Business/Management to Nursing and IT. They recruit from the top levels of management in many sectors and industries, providing students with real-live experiences to gain a great understanding of today's business world.

Cons

DeVry's expansion program leads to some cuts and hiring freezes at the administrative level. There is a minimum of support staff and the Deans have an extremely heavy workload.

DeVry wants active visible managers. They have the potential for rapid movement upward, and lateral shifts to other locations. Be prepared for hard-work. DeVry has standards for continuing education for senior staff, has generous benefits for vacation and health, and dependent's education.

Micromanagement and lack of opportunity

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed co-workers
    Matched the 401K
    Health Insurance and Paid personal days and holidays

Cons

Management does not develop its human capital. Management does not work with employees to reconcile personal goals with the organizational goals to increase productivity and profitability. My department was a machine and the employee was/is a small cog caught in the daily minutia of unimportant tasks dictated to them which they must adhere to in order to keep his/her job.

Perhaps you may reconsider the value of the human being, the mind, one's capabilities, and creativity. This is hard to do once everyone is turned into a mechanical cog in the micromanaged management box.

There are newer employer reviews for DeVry Education Group