DeVry Education Group

Add Review

IT Management Completely Incompetent

Current Employee - IT Person in Oak Brook, IL
Current Employee - IT Person in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is better than state and not-for-profit schools. But pay is less than other large for-profit corporations. Part time work from home program for most non-faculty positions. But again many large companies do this now and have been for some time.

Cons

If you can pass a background check, drug test, have an IQ less than 90 and have no desire to accomplish anything, DeVry IT is for you. You do need a college degree, but luckily for you DeVry is a degree mill and for the right cost one can be yours! IT Management has no clue about technology. They exist to play billionaire boys club games and build empires. Don't expect ANY training, EVER! That's because all new technology is purchased or build externally for DeVry. Employees exist to handle all the screw ups that management caused by having so many different vendors and being cheap. High turnover rate and a bad reputation in the Chicago IT community puts DeVry at the bottom of the pile.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and commit suicide - it's the only answer.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Started out on a high note, then went downhill quickly.

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, in all departments. Good benefits, especially tuition assistance. 7 sick/personal days and 10 days of vacation for the first 5 years, and will increase from there. Working with the students was awesome; it was fun to see them grow and graduate. Most professors cared and pushed the students to succeed. They were generally interested in teaching so that the students would learn and retain the information. Depending on locations, lots of employee engagement events - health fairs, walks, food drives, etc. I really enjoyed my past positions and my past supervisors at the company.

Cons

High turnover. Below industry average pay. They expanded so much, they do not know where to focus their energies. Poor middle and upper management. They cannot communicate information, and do not want to. When new benefit options were rolled out, such as tele-commuting, management said that no one would qualify for it, even though employees plainly did. Policy changes went into effect without communication. No one wants to take responsibility for bad results. Very political. You are shunned if you bring up questions or offer suggestions. I was repremanded several times for suggesting alternate solutions during meetings, that were proven to work, due to my experience working in several of DeVry's divisions. Lots of work - 60-80 hours of work are expected. Merit increases are very small, even with stellar performance results. This is if you actually obtain one. I had amazing supervisors for 4 years here, but my current boss is not effective. Brought up concerns to senior level management and was ignored repeatedly. The company has had lots of layoffs in the past few years (with no end in sight) and campuses are very "bare bones", with little support staff.
    It's sad; I used to enjoy coming to work. With all the layoffs, extra work and no support, I don't enjoy it at all. Policies and procedures constantly change, with no notification. Espeically proprietary documents. There is also no training - I was thrown into several positions with no training. I also had five supervisors in one year (layoff, quit, fired, transfered and the fifth eventually quit).
    Lots of corporate-speak, certain words like "for-profit education" are forbidden.
    The company does not like to put things in writing as well. Especially relating to sensitive issues.
    Also, many managers were thrown into their roles as the company expanded, and they have no training. Or were put in place by politics. Most can't manage and have bizarre expectations about what they want in their employees.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Stop bragging about your bonuses, when most employees barely receive a merit increase. Transparancy is also key. Employ training for new and current employees. Think about what is causing the turnover - low salary and managers who do not have the experience to be in their roles. The company has done well with the negative focus on market-funded education, so it does have the capability to succeed and retain good employees as it has in the past. Use HR to talk about problem employees. Stop with the poitics. Pay attention to exit interviews. Look at employee satisfaction results. Let employees ask questions and offer suggestions without being threatened. Let the company go back to what it was a few years ago and it will succeed.

Wish it was better

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

Fun place to work, people believe in the business. Was a time when people wanted to work here.

Cons

Bad management who don't listen. They make all the money and we do the work.