Student Finance Consultant

Former Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Tinley Park, IL
Former Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Tinley Park, IL

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team at that time and helping student find financial resources that would help assist in their education

Cons

Consist frictions between academic, registrar and admission. It seemed as if everyone wanted to pass the buck and not take responsibility. In addition, people were starting to do things because it was coming so driven by admission and getting student enrolled and not helping or considered with if Devry was the right fit for that student.

Advice to Management

Focus on quality and not dollar signs!

reviews filtered by

DeVry indicated reducing about 570 positions across its institutions

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Irving, TX

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is nothing good to say

Cons

"While we are disappointed with this quarter's results, we are optimistic about mid- and long- term growth in higher education," said DeVry CEO Daniel Hamburger.

Advice to Management

So the answer....fire everyone that really keeps the company going or treat them so bad they leave. Instead of worrying about your salary or money, why don't you look at your management from the bottom to the top. DeVry has no respect for their employers unless your title is in the "Executive" status.

Lay Off's

Former Employee - Senior in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Less people makes for more work. Some say that's a pro.

Cons

It's been about 4 months since 6% of the company was laid off and with this economy, very hard to find a career. Mainly because I was paid a lot of money (main reason I believe in laying me off) and now all of the companies I look for can't meet the demand I was so use to living. DeVry knew I recently bought a home and had a growing family though didn't take that into consideration when laying a Senior Advisor off. They have not helped regarding finding new work with recommendations and I'm still getting emails and mailers from them! I have called and told them to stop emailing or mailing me about their school since it's obvious I wouldn't dare get another degree from them. This has not been done.

Advice to Management

The NJ location has management via who they hang out with and who they have known the longest. The credentials don't need to be involved since it's all about the politics. Playing the politics also allows for harrassment to exist. I'm sure anyone who is from the NJ location knows what that means so no need to go into it further.