DeVry University

www.devry.edu
  www.devry.edu
There are newer employer reviews for DeVry University

Great leadership team and support.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DeVry University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good compensation and follow through from the middle level management. Location was also continent for city employees to access via public transportation.

Cons

Cost of education for first and second year students that could find less expensive tuition via community colleges made it a hard sell.

399 Other Employee Reviews for DeVry University (View Most Recent)

teach anywhere else

Former Employee - Instructor in Tupelo, MS
    Former Employee - Instructor in Tupelo, MS

I worked at DeVry University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

your online course is already designed for you - so it saves you some work - but the broken links and missing instructions make what you get a disaster

Cons

They have increased class sizes 50% in the last few years - but have not raised salaries. The workload is insane - and the expected turnaround on grading work is crazy. We are part time teachers - yet expected to work like full time. If you analyze your pay - you can probably make as much working as a greeter at Walmart. At Devry I might have 35 students in my class - and the pay is $2400. I teach classes at another private college - no more than 20 students and the pay is $6000...and every 10 classes you get a $300 increase. I finally resigned from teaching at DeVry. I talked to my FM after leaving and she said she agreed with my decision and she herself was going to resign soon. She was surprised that more teachers had not quit given the increased class sizes and the lack of increase in pay. She said her biggest fear was they would want to promote her....which meant more work , more hours, for substandard pay. She hoped that she could stay undercover until she left as being promoted would mean she'd have to resign.

Get real with the pay...you want to increase teacher workload then you better increase the pay to align with it. How about putting in a plan for increases every so often...instead of empty promises (lies). You micromanage our teaching to the point we can't do anything without permission. You raise class size and it diminishes the student experience - not to mention that some of these students aren't qualified academically or emotionally to be in college.

scary

Current Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great management and wonderful coworkers

Cons

horrible students, berate you every day and terrible communication between departments

There are newer employer reviews for DeVry University