Admission Advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Probably the best on line University there is. No not perfect, when compared to the other schools I feel DeVry does it best in student centric services. I am not judged on Number of enrollments rather my behavior as relates to TEACH values. I am no fool as I know enrollment plays a key role in my personal success. The diversity of DeVry University, Chamberlain and Ross University along with the plan to grow in other non traditional areas brings financial stability as "Wall Street" beats us up less than other schools in the for profit arena. They also offer a 4% 401K match vested immediately and provide close to a great healthcare plan when compared to others.

Cons

The sector, for profit education, creates a conflict between what is best for the student and overall enrollment numbers but I feel that is the way it is in for profit education. Recent pay raises have been almost non existent to say the least. My base salary has increased $1,500.00 in two years and one review was "exceeds" the others on the high end of the "meets" scale. The statement is, "we are working towards parity in the salary structure". I do beleive the new hires are brought in at a substantial less income than I was 2 years ago, mid to upper 30's. Micromanagement is rampant. Inconsistency and hypocricy reigns. Advancedment very limited unless you play the political game. The better Advisors in terms of TEACH values and new enrollment do not get promoted, the "brown nosers" do.

Advice to Management

Find a creative and compliant to pay better performers perhaps a one time bonus and stop saying "it is not compliant to provide a performance related bonus". Where there is a will there is a way. Please stop promoting the "political players". One of the TEACH values is to speak up when you disagree, when you do you are "negative", the ones that get promoted do not speak up, the ones that should be promoted bring fresh and creative ideas to the conversation and professionally offer a different opinion or approach. As time goes on we learn to shut up and do our best at our desk helping students. This promotes the status quo of intimidation, protects senior middle management and leads to disatisfaction in work quality daily.

reviews filtered by

Overall DeVry's vision is positive, but the lack of execution is detrimental to employees and students.

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides education to many first-generation students who don't have the as many options as more traditional students. Opportunity for personal improvement through training courses. Ability to make a difference and help students achieve their educational goals.

Cons

Politics; lack of communication between upper management and employees as well home office and various campuses or centers. Salary is below median levels.

Advice to Management

When you lay off 250+ people, why do you then give employees who remained pay raises and bonuses? Cleaner execution and removal of people who make themselves look good but don't manage employees or resources appropriately. Think long-term and not so focused on short term admissions goals.

Field work was great experience.

I worked at DeVry University full-time

Pros

they have a good benefit package

Cons

Do not get your salary up to high or they will look for a way to get rid of you