DeVry University

There are newer employer reviews for DeVry University

Admission Advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Probably the best on line University there is. No not perfect, when compared to the other schools I feel DeVry does it best in student centric services. I am not judged on Number of enrollments rather my behavior as relates to TEACH values. I am no fool as I know enrollment plays a key role in my personal success. The diversity of DeVry University, Chamberlain and Ross University along with the plan to grow in other non traditional areas brings financial stability as "Wall Street" beats us up less than other schools in the for profit arena. They also offer a 4% 401K match vested immediately and provide close to a great healthcare plan when compared to others.

Cons

The sector, for profit education, creates a conflict between what is best for the student and overall enrollment numbers but I feel that is the way it is in for profit education. Recent pay raises have been almost non existent to say the least. My base salary has increased $1,500.00 in two years and one review was "exceeds" the others on the high end of the "meets" scale. The statement is, "we are working towards parity in the salary structure". I do beleive the new hires are brought in at a substantial less income than I was 2 years ago, mid to upper 30's. Micromanagement is rampant. Inconsistency and hypocricy reigns. Advancedment very limited unless you play the political game. The better Advisors in terms of TEACH values and new enrollment do not get promoted, the "brown nosers" do.

Find a creative and compliant to pay better performers perhaps a one time bonus and stop saying "it is not compliant to provide a performance related bonus". Where there is a will there is a way. Please stop promoting the "political players". One of the TEACH values is to speak up when you disagree, when you do you are "negative", the ones that get promoted do not speak up, the ones that should be promoted bring fresh and creative ideas to the conversation and professionally offer a different opinion or approach. As time goes on we learn to shut up and do our best at our desk helping students. This promotes the status quo of intimidation, protects senior middle management and leads to disatisfaction in work quality daily.

404 Other Employee Reviews for DeVry University (View Most Recent)

Good when things were good, very different during tough times

I worked at DeVry University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits package, great staff at the local campuses most doing their jobs as best as they can. Years ago there was opportunities for growth.

Cons

The current environment is much different, with very high pressure and stressful environment locally. Has become more of a corporation and less of an educational environment

Stop speaking the language of an employer of choice and begin to ACT like an employer of choice. Invest in your people and their morale, they will be the turnaround the company needs.

It's been great- miss all the opportunities for advancement though

Current Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, education, possible flex-time, culture

Cons

hours, weekends, changes all the time

There are newer employer reviews for DeVry University