DeVry University

There are newer employer reviews for DeVry University

Wrong business model

Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Fort Washington, PA
Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at DeVry University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

quality education/services to students and graduates

Cons

Unsustainable business model. Made sweeping changes to business processes with consideration of financial losses

404 Other Employee Reviews for DeVry University (View Most Recent)

I survived but did not thrive.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor

I worked at DeVry University full-time

Pros

My colleagues were a lot of fun and I bonded with them over just making it through the intense training period. The benefits package was decent. I felt as though I learned a lot about how to stay positive in a very negative environment, which is a skill many people do not have. I had three very excellent managers who were true leaders, two of whom are no longer with the company.

Cons

Where do I start? The training period was supposed to be 8 weeks and the group I began with was given just short of 5 weeks before we were pressured to produce and the training stopped. We were constantly being threatened with losing our jobs if we didn't produce by managers who would find the most backhanded ways of giving feedback.There was a large amount of turnover in management. Every two months our teams where broken up to 're-align' instead of allowing us to grow and become stronger in the teams we were already in. Many very young and insecure managers who try to play political games instead of just being honest and being good leaders. In the first two years I was there, literally every person I saw given a promotion was an HR nightmare, and was promoted simply because of being a manager's favorite. Those of us who worked hard and who wanted to be rewarded based on merit were ignored. Was better in the last year I worked there, but not enough to say that I wanted a career there. No real chance of advancement unless you are a young person who is willing to play the game (suck up). No place to voice your own opinion or a new way of doing things based on proven past experience (for those of us who had decades of prior management experience.)

Live the same TEACH values you expect your front lines people to live. Assume the best of your employees, because the majority of them WANT to help students and thereby get you your numbers. Stop looking down your nose at employees who don't want to suck up. It doesn't mean they don't care about their jobs, it just means they are experienced enough to be over themselves and over sucking up to managers in order to get ahead. Some very valuable people with proven skills have left DeVry simply because they are secure enough to demand more respect than you are giving. Stop trying to bully people into production through intimidation and fear. True leaders know how to get results in positive ways. Intimidation and fear have only created a toxic environment and that's why you have so many good people leaving.

Depends on Which Campus You Work For.

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Fresno, CA

I have been working at DeVry University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Caring Professors
    - Friendly Enviroment (most of the time)
    - Great Maintanance Team
    - Free Food at Times

Cons

Management sometimes feels like they know what is best and therefore don't listen to those who aren't managers. Corporate sometimes has some very unreal expectations which lead to stress.

Listen... Listen.. Listen...