DeVry University

Good Company to Work For, Especially in a Struggling Economy

Current Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Wood Dale, IL
Current Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Good Pay
Good Benefits
Good Staff
Hard Work is Compensated
Free Tuition

Cons

Challenging Job
Limited Potential for Advancement for Some
Upper Management Lacking Knowledge

Looking at the company as a whole, from the limited perpestive that I have, I am very satisfied with my job overall. You do have the ability to help many, but the job can be very stressful and hard to handle at times. Management doesn't have too much knowledge on the daily opperations which can be frustrating, but that is overcome for the most part by the fact that they immediate leadership is very compotent. This position takes a special kind of person to be able to handle some moderate phone abuse from students, but you are compensated well by frequent company outings, a good benefits package, and a job that doesn't require all too much experience just a good personality and an ability to learn. One month paid training sets you up for success for the most part, but I would like to see more of our advisors promoted to senior level finance operations (for those that are fitting, and their are some) who are more aware of the day to day operations more so than the good overall managers that may have limited experinece in the field they are over looking.

406 Other Employee Reviews for DeVry University (View Most Recent)

Devry is like bootcamp. I learned a lot, but glad I am out!!

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DeVry University

Pros

Awesome team members (not including senior managers), fantastic benefits, and decent pay (not great).

Cons

No life and work balance. Even though they preach this, the reality is that you will need to work most Saturdays due to several events taking place. Nothing wrong with working Saturdays, I just wish they had told me when I accepted this position.

Managers do not give credit where credit is due. They don't like to give admissions advisors positive reenforcement for some reason. I was told that "once they're told they do a good job, they stop working". The reality is the admissions advisors felt like they got no respect from managers, thus there is a 70% turnover rate.

Senior managers are very quick to "write somebody up" because their numbers may be to low. Even though this goes directly against Title IV federal laws for school recruiters (they cant be written up for not recruiting "high numbers"), a new advisor will be written up within a few months if they cant hack it. No training.....they just throw you out there.

The higher converting leads (potential students who walk in or fill out an application online) go to the managers (who are also responsible for bringing in students) and the higher performers. When you interview a student, you are putting on high pressure tactics for them apply. If the potential wants to study nursing (not offered at Devry University), you are responsible to convinced that student why nursing is not the program they really want to do and put them in a program that Devry offers. If that student doesn't apply, you will hear it from your manager about "not helping out that student."

Turnovers and stress are both normal in the admissions department at Devry in Los Angeles. If this is for you, then you should apply. They have plenty of openings (I wonder why).

Get a clue as to what is occurring on the campus level. The 50,000 foot view is too high to see the reality of what is happening.

Management is very hard line and very numbers driven.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Decatur, GA

I worked at DeVry University

Pros

The salaries are competitive and fair.

Cons

The management is only concerned with numbers at all costs.

Management should seek training in organization development and realize that an employee can only be as good as the system.

There are newer employer reviews for DeVry University