There are newer employer reviews for Dealer.com

Image is everything, but Dealer is not as their image exudes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) The Cafe - The food is decent (Although the prices are not consistent)
2) The Leed certified building is nice
3) Being in Burlington is nice

Cons

1) Parking - this is a major issue. Not enough spots and it will be worse in the winter
2) Cafe - There are no set prices, so it's based on who you are and how large a portion they think you have.
3) Gym - Nice to have a gym, but there is no time to use it. Over worked
4) Payment - They grossly under pay their employees based on industry standards and their profits. However, they do boast about their benefits, which many people do not use.
5) Standards and consistency - There are none. Whether it's how much you have to pay for lunch or who gets what privileges. If management favors you, you will get promoted, extra breaks and other favors, while they look the other way. Promotions seem to be based on subjective reasoning. They don't look at skills, experience or even if you have a good personality. I believe management continues to hire more of the same because they don't want their own jobs to be threatened.
6) The this side and that side of the building. There is a distinct divided between the two sides of the company and it's based on how much you earn.
7) Dealer.com claims they have low turn over, but that is not accurate. They don't talk about all the people that have quit or that they have fired. If you look at the data, it's staggering.

My advice to management would to be objective when hiring people. Stop acting self-righteous and belittling your front lines. Many of the current managers were hired because they were in the right place at the right time. It wasn't about their college degrees or experience, because most don't have them.

Change the company around and start setting some standards. I know Dealer.com is trying to avoid the corporate environment, but as you grow, you cannot avoid all the ways of the corporate culture.

reviews filtered by

Same job but new title and paycuts

Current Employee - Digital Advisor (Formerly Account Manager) in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Digital Advisor (Formerly Account Manager) in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com

Pros

Great people to work with
    Leed environmental building
    Cafe a bit expensive, but nice if you forget to bring lunch
    After work sports teams
    Great company parties
    Casual dress code

Cons

Communication is horrible at every level
    Arrogant management style
    Reviews if you get one do not relate to your work
    Promotions based on good looks, youth, buddy system and rarely on performance
    Departments do not work together
    Transparency is non existent
    Gate keepers in getting things fixed
    Pay plans change like the wind

Account Managers got a new title of DIgital Advisor. We were told the re-structuring was to improve customer support and Regional Dircectors would do the selling. However, we are doing the exact work for less money. We get sell sell sell emails and presentations butwe know longer get commissions to sell. The Regional directors are not owning their new responsibilities and cherry pick the clients.

If i were senior management i would track client contact by RDs and find out who is actually doing the selling.

The worse part of the restrucure is working with a team that got major paycuts $5000 to $15000 and now do the same job and an RD you may never speak to gets commissions ad credit for your work. Dealer.com did a fantastic job of demorralizing an entire dept. The huge drop in moral might not have been so bad if they had matched current income.

It was a great place to work when it was small, but over the last couple years it's felt more and more like a sweatshop.

Former Employee - Java Developer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com

Pros

great benefits (gym, organic cafe, wellness classes, ski-resort seasons pass discounts, etc.); decent salary; lots of smart, competent, friendly people to work with. sometimes you'll get a fun project to work on.

Cons

espoused "work-life balance" is a joke: even though wellness classes are offered and the gym is easily accessible, you'll rarely have time to make use of any of these resources due to your workload. in Development, 50-60 hour weeks are commonplace.

further, since the company has grown so fast in such a short period of time, management has had to grow the bureaucratic layers of management as well, but it's all been rushed and in my opinion it hasn't gone very well. for example, middle-management has been talking for more than a year now about creating "road maps" for people to follow for career paths at Dealer, but these have yet to materialize.

- also:

I witnessed numerous occurrences (5 to be precise) of extremely poor communication between supervisors and those who worked under them, myself included. people I knew who by all accounts of those who knew them would get fired for seemingly insignificant things that reportedly were never raised during performance reviews. moral of the story here is that you can't trust performance reviews to mean anything at Dealer.com (if you should ever get one - in my 3+ years there, I never had a single one). fair warning.

learn how to communicate not only positive, but especially potentially negative information, in a timely manner with the people you manage. proactively attempt to resolve situations before they become problems instead of keeping silent like a coward until it's axe-time.

also, you've bitten off more than you can chew - it's nice to get contracts, but you're ruining the morale of the people who are trying to make it all happen.

you guys used to have a soul, and I loved you for it. but since you've gotten big, you've lost that spark that made you great. it's sad ... but I'm glad to no longer work at Dealer.com.

There are newer employer reviews for Dealer.com