There are newer employer reviews for Dealer.com

Non-competitive salary, and not for creatively innovating thinkers

Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Burlington, VT
Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment, great emanates, state of the art gym, and they do legitimately try to create a fun culture.

Cons

Incredibly dull creative work, innovation stifling restrictions, and management was no help and barely receptive to new ideas or ways to improve product or user experience. The creative and development team is stuck in a very tightly taped box.

Advice to Management

Un-tape the box, suck up the existing technical restrictions, and push forward.

Other Employee Reviews for Dealer.com

Same job but new title and paycuts

Current Employee - Digital Advisor (Formerly Account Manager) in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Digital Advisor (Formerly Account Manager) in Burlington, VT

Pros

Great people to work with Leed environmental building Cafe a bit expensive, but nice if you forget to bring lunch After work sports teams Great company parties Casual dress code

Cons

Communication is horrible at every level Arrogant management style Reviews if you get one do not relate to your work Promotions based on good looks, youth, buddy system and rarely on performance Departments do not work together Transparency is non existent Gate keepers in getting things fixed Pay plans change like the wind

Advice to Management

Account Managers got a new title of DIgital Advisor. We were told the re-structuring was to improve customer support and Regional Dircectors would do the selling. However, we are doing the exact work for less money. We get sell sell sell emails and presentations butwe know longer get commissions to sell. The Regional directors are not owning their new responsibilities and cherry pick the clients. If i were senior management i would track client contact by RDs and find out who is actually doing the selling. The worse part of the restrucure is working with a team that got major paycuts $5000 to $15000 and now do the same job and an RD you may never speak to gets commissions ad credit for your work. Dealer.com did a fantastic job of demorralizing an entire dept. The huge drop in moral might not have been so bad if they had matched current income.

It was a great place to work when it was small, but over the last couple years it's felt more and more like a sweatshop.

Former Employee - Java Developer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Burlington, VT

Pros

great benefits (gym, organic cafe, wellness classes, ski-resort seasons pass discounts, etc.); decent salary; lots of smart, competent, friendly people to work with. sometimes you'll get a fun project to work on.

Cons

espoused "work-life balance" is a joke: even though wellness classes are offered and the gym is easily accessible, you'll rarely have time to make use of any of these resources due to your workload. in Development, 50-60 hour weeks are commonplace. further, since the company has grown so fast in such a short period of time, management has had to grow the bureaucratic layers of management as well, but it's all been rushed and in my opinion it hasn't gone very well. for example, middle-management has been talking for more than a year now about creating "road maps" for people to follow for career paths at Dealer, but these have yet to materialize. - also: I witnessed numerous occurrences (5 to be precise) of extremely poor communication between supervisors and those who worked under them, myself included. people I knew who by all accounts of those who knew them would get fired for seemingly insignificant things that reportedly were never raised during performance reviews. moral of the story here is that you can't trust performance reviews to mean anything at Dealer.com (if you should ever get one - in my 3+ years there, I never had a single one). fair warning.

Advice to Management

learn how to communicate not only positive, but especially potentially negative information, in a timely manner with the people you manage. proactively attempt to resolve situations before they become problems instead of keeping silent like a coward until it's axe-time. also, you've bitten off more than you can chew - it's nice to get contracts, but you're ruining the morale of the people who are trying to make it all happen. you guys used to have a soul, and I loved you for it. but since you've gotten big, you've lost that spark that made you great. it's sad ... but I'm glad to no longer work at Dealer.com.