Working at DealerRater

Current Employee - Director
Current Employee - Director

I have been working at DealerRater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team. Employees are appreciated and heard. Work life balance is terrific. The employees are TOP shelf!

Cons

Commute being in Waltham can be misery

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Excellent Company Positioned for High Performance and Growth

Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I have been working at DealerRater

Pros

DealerRater is a fantastic company. It is laser focused on providing a superior product and service to its customers and it is predominantly filled with people who consistently go above and beyond. Sure, there are long hours, but the company makes real effort to help with work/life balance. Weekly lunches, a free and fully stocked snack bar, an incredible work environment with an onsite gym (in the Watch Factory in Waltham), and a new summer program that allows for "Flex Fridays." Basically, every other week you get 5 days of work completed in 4 days and then take that Friday off. Excellent benefits, too. Culture is relaxed but intense, and overall, fun. A priority is placed on training and personal development. Great people, great products.

Cons

Can't really think of much in terms of downside. Worst I can come up with is sometimes the traffic in Waltham can be rough, but it's not too bad.

2. Wouldn't trade the opportunity for anything else

Former Employee - DXT in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - DXT in Chicago, IL

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spontaneously moved half way across the country and stumbled upon a job posting at a company known as, DealerRater. I came in for the interview- absolutely crushed it and got the job. I started at the company as an implementation specialist. After about 8 months I was promoted to what is known as DXT (Dealer Experience Team) advisor which focuses on retention and long term relationship growth with a Book-of-business of 1000+ clients. The office is a place full of bright and fun-loving individuals. They work well at their job and [for the most part] enjoy coming into an office that shares in a mutual spirit. It really started to feel like a close knit family that was all in to work towards a common goal. The "smaller" office ( <75 people) make it a nice place to come in and work with people who can become friends. Hell, even after my departure, I have kept in touch with many of the people I used to work with. I feel that wouldn't happen just anywhere.

Cons

In my role, I absolutely became burnt out. I talk to my old man often and say, "I don't think there is a single person on this tiny blue planet that doesn't get burnt out by retention work." You become the "heel" of the company in my eyes. I started to lose focus thus ending in my departure from a great company. but enough about me. This section is about the company. I'm not going to forth willingly talk poorly or create outstanding cons about a place that took me in with open arms. Sure I was burnt out, but alas, short-sighted emotional retribution shall not be reprised here. DealerRater is a business built on reviews, specifically in the automotive industry. Reviews are the company's "bread and butter" and in my time their I saw a LOT of reviews and shook my head at the stupidity some humans possess in writing their response(s) to an experience. At DealerRater, it is coached that the review tell their story. My story is nothing but true enjoyment for coming into the office mixed with the trivial, mind-numbing work of retention. I have given the company a 4 because I am not going to review the company on my own battle with an exhausting position. The position wasn't right for me; however, the office was a place I absolutely enjoyed walking into every morning. Something that did legitimately grind my gears was the way the quarterly bonus structure was taken away. Not necessarily that it was taken away but how a substantial amount of money was taken from the livelihood of myself as well as my team and how our management would smile and tell us our way of making up some of that cheese was through the price increase (management should know what I mean here). I thought that was a load of crock. It was a LOT of money that helped influence my move to that position. We all relied on that money. Then we were expected to take on much more work. Backwards login in my opinion.

Advice to Management

There's a strange narrative in play with the company. With there being no true "middle management," with the exception of maybe a few individuals there really isn't any room for growth. Hey, I completely understand that that is going to come with a small company. My disconnect with the narrative is how you, "only want people to develop and grow, gain skills in order to move to a different opportunity" but then want people to stay in their role that won't grow into anything by adding surface level perks that create a good work environment (snack bar, suggestion box, flex fridays etc). I can't necessarily wrap my head around that. The three facets of the "playbook" being: customers, stakeholders, and employees- I still feel there is work to be done in the third area. Absolutely great progress has been made and I think Gary and the team will continue to make strides!