DealerSocket

www.dealersocket.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for DealerSocket

Good job in tough economy

Current Employee - Consultant, Strategic Services in San Clemente, CA
Current Employee - Consultant, Strategic Services in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket

Pros

A growing company. If you work hard, you'll have a decent job.

Cons

A lot of work for paltry pay compared to more reputable companies.

They're doing a good job

54 Other Employee Reviews for DealerSocket (View Most Recent)

I LOVE MY JOB!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket

Pros

DealerSocket is the most friendly and ethical company I have ever worked for! From the top management through every position... it is just fun and challenging! If you like to learn and be treated fairly -- this is the place!

Cons

Growth pains... which are also opportunities. We are growing fast and it creates a ton of opportunities as well as some challenges that are hard to figure out (which actually makes it fun for me)

Keep doing what you are doing!

Criticisms are valid, but company is moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Strategic Services Consultant
    Current Employee - Strategic Services Consultant

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There have been a lot of accurate reviews posted on Glassdoor from the consulting side. The consulting team in the past has drawn on recent college graduates, offered them subpar benefits but a rather attractive amount of travel, and shaped them into account managers with some element of consulting thrown into the mix. It's a good gig right out of college and benefits seem to be improving. Twelve months in and you can be making low $70k's, which is pretty darn good for a 4yr degree, depending on the cost of living in your territory region.

Overall, I really enjoy spending time with other consultants on install - it does feel like a vacation, even though you're often working hard. I love seeing new places and eating good food. Rolling the dice every few weeks and get assigned anywhere in the U.S. or Canada is the highlight of my job, although they may unfortunately be moving toward more regional travel soon.

The flexibility of working from home and setting your own schedule is fantastic. I have a certain number of client visits and conference calls to do every month, and it's up to me to schedule them at will. If I want to front-load my month and take a few days sanity time at the end, I'm free to do so.

The company trajectory seems very positive. We've made a number of improvements to both the product and our internal processes just in the last year. We have a lot of cash in the bank from a very large VC round and we're looking to grow our team and our product offering. A number of significant improvements to the CRM functionality are coming in the next year as well.

Cons

We have two glaring problems in the company: (1) staffing. We don't have enough support functions (support, engineering, data builders, consultants, and that darn Forms team) to keep customers fully satisfied, yet we keep up an aggressive sales pace to meet growth targets. This isn't sustainable, but Management knows this and seems to be scrambling to address it. We opened a second office in Utah and hired six recruiters (in the past almost all hiring was done from word-of-mouth referrals or recruiting visits to maybe a half dozen schools, if that.)

With that problem, consultants feel pulled in both directions. You don't trust Support to get an issue resolved in a timely manner, so you end up fielding many problems yourself and spending valuable time escalating issues and trying to work around the bureaucracy. Support is very stressed out and I spend probably a third of my time similarly stressed. If we had enough support staff I'd probably have reasonable work hours, but lately I will spend many days working from 8am to midnight just juggling client demands.

Problem (2) is our codebase. The product is great and will continue to get better, but it's held together with duct tape. We need to refactor the code base to make things run more quickly, and improve the QA process so fewer things break. We've made good progress on the second account, but the CRM has been so slow lately, it's maddening.

Other issues to be aware of: you can feel isolated out in territory after awhile. You are kind of on your own for professional development - they should provide more training on how exactly to be a consultant, not just a product specialist. Health insurance is great for the employee but I insure my family on the exchange (and don't receive any break on the premium). No 401k matching, and yes, HR is horrendous - when I received my offer letter I asked if they had a statement of benefits and was given a one-line response that "we haven't chosen next year's plan yet. We'll let you know in a few months." Very difficult to reach and pretty cranky when you do hear from them.

Refactor the code base ASAP. A million features won't matter if the tool is too slow to use.
    I would give more advice, but I've already received a few surveys from Corporate asking for feedback. I do feel you're taking the input seriously and acting on it. We will probably have another year of growing pains, but I'm optimistic about where we are headed.

There are newer employer reviews for DealerSocket